News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I guess the question is "how"... Do you think it will continue to deteriorate if you don't putz it?

I almost bought a medal knowing that I'd have to clean it from the photos, but I wasn't sure what it would look like after...and then the dealer upped the price...cleaned the deal out of my mind.

Edited by IrishGunner

Well, I can read everything on it... so it would not be needed for that... but it is Zinc, so "Zinc-Pest" may be an issue... but it looks to be just dirt....

I dont know if it can be called "Patina" but as it is, you just know it belongs together... its "self Authenticating"... if it were cleaned... it will still belong together... but not so obviously...

Well, I can read everything on it... so it would not be needed for that... but it is Zinc, so "Zinc-Pest" may be an issue... but it looks to be just dirt....

I dont know if it can be called "Patina" but as it is, you just know it belongs together... its "self Authenticating"... if it were cleaned... it will still belong together... but not so obviously...

Yea, that's my only worry with zinc...is that it continues to deteriorate. Otherwise, my feeling is always leave it be... Like you, I like the "used veteran" look.

I've bothered my brother, a Mechanical Engineer (and non-collector) about this and he informs me that if action is taken, there are two options; the low tech way and the high tech way.

The low tech way (but slightly invasive) is using WD-40. It will clean and protect the surface. But as we all know it will coat the surface and remove all patina.

The high tech way is using a product from Cortec. They produce a huge range of corrosion protection products for a variety of surfaces. The applications are just as varied. This small item would be best served with one of their Films. To quote: "the films range from general use polyethylene to shrink wrap, stretchable and reinforced constructions. All films have excellent clarity." My brother has tested these products and says they work well and leave no coating behind on the metal.

http://www.cortecvci.com/Publications/Brochures/Military/MilCorr%20Broch.pdf

But I have no idea where an outsider can buy these products. Contact the company for a retailer?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2014/post-16230-0-83122300-1392231836.jpgHi Chris and Irish !

As always there are some yes and no , but I would say yes.

One of ideas of collecting is to preserve , both an item and it's memory , history behind etc.

we are then obligated to do something , where this "something" should only be as professional , harmful , in good taste and which is most important reversible ( ! ).

As you both mentioned there is no harmful "patina" on zink objects , as you can see on any copper based alloy ... I'm always for YES if really needed , but not too much - it has to keep it's historical character .

I do always preservation procedure to all my dog tags , only the way I do depends on their condition .

If it is excellent to good condition I only cover them with thin film of candle paraffin ( or you can buy special micro crystal paraffin based stuff called cosmoloid 80h - highly professional agent or any micro waxes .) I heat the ID disc with hair dryer and I apply with q-tips boiling paraffin , immediately removing it from it's surface with paper towel .

Dog tag should "suck" enough with it's micro pores / holes .

If the "visibility" of the text isn't good enough , I contrast it ( very rarely ) with 0.3 mm soft ( any B class ) automatic pencil .

If object is in bad - relic condition , then I neutralize it thru 2- 4 baths in distilled water ( boil for few minutes each time and change the water ) to eliminate any kind of salts causing inter crystal corrosion and ... as before ...protective film .

best regards

Kornel

few tags of mine

picture one and two - before and after

all presented tags are after preservation

ps. As you can see I'm not a big fan of cleaning to "death" , making them "new" etc.

Edited by Kornel R.

If it were me, I would say YES. I have no problem cleaning and conservation of the piece. After all it was not always like this, I would try to get her back to his old form, without modifying its current "defects" done by time.

Lambert

Eric with all due respect and sympathy ( I'm fully conscious that your collection , knowledge and experience is ....zillion times better then mine ;) ) I must disagree .

This corrosion will not stop even in controlled environment , the further deterioration may not ONLY be visible in our life .

Going this way only collecting items in very good condition makes sense .... what with some bitter ones ? Due to lock of action ( conservation , preservation , restoration etc. ) must they be sentenced for slow death ?

I think if some of actions are taken proper- and tastefully some of the items are looking better after then before, still keeping their historical look ,originality , charm - Just my opinion .

friendly regards

Kornel

ps. please tell me honestly do you like this posted below tag better before , or after ? by the way it is one of my few most cleaned tags .

I agree it's never after the same , but .. is a virgin always better no matter what ?

Personally, I clean the surfaces with a mild liquid soap and when dry, apply a thin coat of vaseline, which I then wipe off. It doesn't do much to remove corrosion, but it does make them look better and protects the surface. I generally avoid examples with a lot of corrosion, but if I could clean them the way Kornel has, I would change my mind about that.

Chip

Depending on the state of deterioration I'd clean a disc.

I had one with zinc pest, it was bad enough that the details couldn't be read so I went over it with 0000 wire wool, then coated it in WD40.

Tony

To each his own

Would you rip off the rotten rags of Nefertiti and wrap her in modern cloth just to look/say this is how it must of looked back in the day? :)

dunno, maybe its part of the whole issue of what's ok under restoration, maybe go for something, a product that doesn't take but locks a piece in its present state if one wishes.

Chris please leave alone if you're unhappy with the way it looks now I'd buy it, you could hold it out and blast with a ballistol product personally I wouldn't I see too much gear on the net buffed up cleaned it leaves me miffed.

I've a camo helmet that still shreds dirt after all these years one day it will no doubt cease but the helm will still have the 'look'.

Eric

Lol forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Hoss

the whole thing

I think is perfect . IMO it didn't loose it's character at all .

best regards

Kornel

ps. >> Would you rip off the rotten rags of Nefertiti and wrap her in modern cloth just to look/say this is how it must of looked back in the day? :)<<

- Of course not ! - maybe I'd just dust her little off after tens of centuries in the combs :lol: ( Eric please have some merci on us , we didn't replace any original cords , polished it badly etc. ) ;)