News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I bought this Really nice Iron Cross 2nd class document as it was to a bavarian Infantry Regiment I did not yet have, because it was really decorative.....

But the really nice thing only became apparent once it was here and I was doing a bit of research......

I know what you are going to say, I'm still cryin over missing that one.

Still it couldn't have gone to a better home.

I shall leave you to explain!!!

Enjoy.

Best regards

Pete

The Regimental history is more detailed and I am working on it... but here is the citation...

It is worth noting, the action took place in September... and he was awarded the EK2 (document pictured) probably as an interim in October.... Then it seems it was upgraded to the Golden bravery medal in December...

Corporal in the 5th Company of the 21st Bavarian Infantry Regiment Grossherzog Friedrich Franz IV. von Mecklenburg-Schwerin. In peacetime he was a stone mason in Frankenried. He was born on the 12th of September 1895 in Spitzendorf, Niederbayern.

On the 15.09.1916 a large British attack pushed back the neighbouring Regiment and occupied parts of the Gallwitzriegel. The 2nd Battalion of the 21st Bavarian Infantry Regiment now had an open right flank. In the morning of the 15.09.1916 the British launched a heavy attack which also hit the 5th company, especially for forward Sappe. As the British Grenade party approached Gefreiter Hartinger and a hastily assembled party of soldiers threw them back.

When the British tried another attack that evening they mainly targeted the unprotected right flank of the 5th Company. At this dangerously weak point in the line Hartinger was present with two comrades. In spite of heavy enemy fire and being grossly outnumbered they scorned death and kept the enemy at bay with their hand grenades. When the small team ran out of grenades the British managed to gain a few meters of trench but Hartinger rapidly replenished his grenades and in a dapper attack he threw the advancing enemy back. During this action he took a British NCO prisoner after some hard hand to hand fighting.

His personal bravery saved the right flank of the company and saved the battalion from catastrophe.

Gefreiter der 5. Komp. 21. b. Inf. Regt. Großherzog Friedrich Franz IV. von Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Im Frieden Steinhauer in Frankenried. geboren 12.09.1895 zu Spitzendorf in Niederbayern.

Die Engländer hatten am 15.09.1916 in schwerem Maffenstoß das rechte Nachbarregiment des 21. b. Inf. Rgts. weit zurückgedrängt und Teile des Gallwitzriegels besetzt. Das anschließende II. Batl. 21. b. Inf. Rgts. war nun in der rechten Flanke ohne Schutz. Am Vormittag der 15.09. griffen die Engländer mit starken Kräften auch die 5. Kompagnie an und richteten ihren hauptstoß gegen eine vorgeschobene Sappe. Als sie mit handgranatenwürfen schon nahe herankommen, warf sich ihnen der Kriegsfrw., Gefreiter Hartinger mit einigen Leuten kurz entschlossen entgegen und trieb sie unter starken Verlusten zurück.

Als die Engländer am Abend des gleichen Tages wieder angriffen, gingen sie hauptsächlich gegen den in der Luft hängenden rechten Flügel der 5. Komp. vor. An diesem gefährdeten Punkt der ganzen Stellung stand wiederum Hartinger mit 2 tapferen Kameraden. Gemeinsam hielten sie trotz des schweren feindl. Feuers einer großen Überlegenheit todesmutig stand und verhinderten durch kräftiges Handgranatenfeuer ein Eindringen des Feindes. Als der kleinen Schar die Handgranaten ausgegangen waren, gelang es den Engländern, einige Meter Boden in Graben zu gewinnen. Kaum aber hatte Hartinger seine Handgranaten ergänzt, trieb er auch schon in schneidigem Vorgehen die Eingedrungenen Feinde zurück. Hierbei glückte es Ihm, einen englischen Unteroffizier in hartem kämpfe gefangen zu nehmen.

Seine persönliche Unerschrockenheit hat den rechten Flügel der Kompagnie gerettet und das Bataillon vor einer Katastrophe bewahrt.

As soon as I read that citation I just sat down quietly for a few minutes and tried to imagine the scene... the grenades, the shooting and eventually hand to hand combat, all the time heavily outnumbered and expecting death any second. Not admiring such men is impossible.

Thank you for sharing this with us.