News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Officer's visor cap - Military Police or Artillery?

This Erel visor cap appears to me to be the orange -red waffenfarbe appropriate for military police; it is much "oranger" than the piping on my artillery enlisted cap.

Opinions have been mixed on other forums; any thoughts would be appreciated.

Could it be the other red for Genaral staff Officers?

Is that an unusal name for a German, maybe you could find him?

What do the others say on the other fora?

Best Regards

Jock :)

The piping for general staff is carmine, not close to the scarlet red for artillery, or orange red for military police.

Opinions on other forums varied between artillery, and military police.

When I put my artillery cap up against this one, there is a distinct difference in shade, with the artillery a much truer red shade, and darker as well.

Bloody Germans had too many shades that were close together!

I think you nailed it there, carmine is what for a colour and god help the colour blind!

If that is ruled out then I would say MP rather than artillery, it looks too orange like for arty, then you have the Vets and the Nebel too rule out too but the versions of some of them look like what I have been told is carmine, what if the taylor was colour blind, perhaps I am too?

Nice hat though regardless as at least it is right.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just reaserching a crossed cannon officers shoulderboard in the old 'Angolia/Schlicht Die Deutsche Wehmacht. page 200 describes Waffenoffiziere, Waffenfarbe orangerot, Could this be your hat, does anyone have an example of this colour for the neue Laufbahnfarbe?

When/if I get my hands on the tab I will post pics for reference as the bloke said his dad was a Feuerwerker of some sorts and I suggested artillery due to the crossed cannons but it would seem we are both mistaken.

I hope he will at least allow me to photograph it.

It looks to me to be more of the Ordnance Officer Orange/Red. The MP Orange is very orange.

The difference in shade between "pure" orange and orangerot, or orange red, has me stumped. Virtually all of my reference sources list orangerot as the color for military police, and recruiting officers.

I must have looked at at least six books, and they list orangerot as the MP & recruiting waffenfarbe. The recent volume " Waffenrock", which I have, lists the same color for the correct waffenfarbe.

Is there really a difference in shades, or only ONE orangerot? I've got all the bloody shades of green, blue, & red down, but this one is escaping me!