News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finnish miniature chain

Very nice indeed I would have thought with that combination of awards it should be possible to trace the recipient. Maybe Jani may have some ideas of how it could be researched.

All the best,

Paul

You could check the Finnish recipients of KNO in a late 30-ties "statskalender" it shouldn't be too many. A quick check makes me think politician, some higher official or perhaps even medical doctor. Maybe the Olympic order will narrow it down better.

/Kim

On The Order of St. Olav, would you say the wings are gold (grand cross) or silver (commander)?

The small lion above the crown indicates 1906-1937 award. If we can assume the miniature is identical to the order he actually was awarded, that might narrow it down even further.

A miniature chain is usually worn at an angle on the left lapel of a civilian suit. So the order is from top down, which is why it is usually the reverse of the order on a horizontal medal bar. A Frackspange (or its non-German equivalent), worn below the lapel on a civilian suit or open-collared uniform (like many navies used), also is in reverse order for this reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done some research on this chain, under the assumption the guy is Finnish and was awarded the grand cross of The order of St. Olav between 1906 and 1936. I looked through the Norwegian State Calender from 1925 to 1936. It lists (almost) every award of an official medal and order each year, the grand cross included. Prior to 1925 it lists every (at the moment known) living recipient of the grand cross, and those lists are not easy to search in. It's better to check a known name, than look for everyone listed as Finnish citizen.

Anyway, the following Finnish gentlemen were awarded the grand cross form 1925 to 1936:

- Hackzell, A. V., mininster of foreign affairs, July 6th

- Wuolijoki, H. R. W., minister, July 6th

- Svinhufvud, Pehr Eivind, president, July 6th (awarded the collar of the order at the same date)

- Virkkunen, E, dr., Finnish "kontraktprost" (contractual priest?), July 7th

- Aura, M, minister of internal affairs, June 9th

- Cajander, A. K., professor/CEO, March 16th

- Malmberg, K. L. T., major-general, June 2nd

- Niukkanen, J., minister of the treasury, June 2nd

- Procopé, J. H. F., former minister of foreign affairs, June 2nd

- Pulkkinen, Y. R., former minister, June 2nd

- Stenroth, O. E., senator, June 2nd

- Tulenheimo, A. A., professor/mayor of Helsinki, June 2nd

- Åkerman (Aakerman), B. A., major-general, June 2nd

- Relander, Lauri Kristian, former president, October 4th (awarded the collar of the order at the same date)

- Sihvo, A., major-general, October 4th

- Sunild, J. E., minister of agriculture, October 4th

- Carstén, J, CEO, January 25th

- Ignatius, K. Y. B., supreme court justice, August 14th

The Finnish order of the Olympic Merit was instituted in 1952 related to the summer Olympic games held in Helsinki that year. It consisted of only two classes, 2st class worn as an ordinary knight order, and 1st worn as commander. Your guy was awarded the 1st class (silver wings on the miniature). From what I can see, a total of 283 awards of 1st class were made. Only 116 were awarded to Finnish citizen. Find a list of these 116 and compare it with the names above, and I think you might have a winner :)

The Official report of the 1952 Olympics is available on line and lists the various criteria for the award of the Olympic decoration as well as the various Finnish officials. It is probable that the recipient of this was an hon. president of a Finnish Sporting Organisation. and given his other medals he would have been unlikely to have been younger than mid 50s and possibly somewhat older.

Paul

Thanks Paul, another source to persue.

Kvart, I searched for the Norwegian "Statskalender", but apparently both the book- and online version were terminated due to poor finances. Still I think I can solve this by comparing the Swedish version and search for awardees of the Northstar.