News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Official Soviet Photos

In Rick Lundstrom's collection are about 50 photographs with writing on the back. They all have some type of "official" stamp. I cannot determine what they are and where they came from or if they have any value. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, by the way Rick's Soviet collection will be sold at auction by Christian Lehrle of Bene Merenti Auctions. The time is to be determined.

Paramonov HSU Pavel Denisovich 226 IndepArtBtn 235Howitzer Brig rev ns 76KB.jpg

Paramonov HSU Pavel Denisovich 1925 1970 as arty Lt ca1947 ns 44KB.jpg

Hi Paul:

The top word is what appears to be his last name: "Parash..." I unfortunately can't read it. If I still had my HSU set, I could look him up though.

The next set of words is who the photograph is of, which is Hero of the Soviet Union Lieutenant Para-whatever and whatever for his first name (my ability to read handwritten Cyrillic has gone way down, apparently!!)

It is then signed by the chief of staff of the 226(?) Independent Artillery Division, 235th Something Artillery Brigade, and then signed by him with the unit seal.

As far as value, images of HSUs used to sell well in the past; I can't comment on them now. Back when I sold off my photo collection (in 2006) I was getting $15-$20 a piece for HSUs. Non HSUs were really tough to move, even at $1 each. When I sold my last batch of them, I think I got about 50 cents each for them on average. However, prices are far different now...I just don't know how different they are.

Hope that helps!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Paul C,

The officer depicted is Guards Lieutenant Pavel Denisovich Paramonov.  He was awarded his HSU title on March 24th, 1945 for action in December 1944 IVO the Donau river in Hungary.  At the time of the cited action, he was a Private with duties as a forward observer assigned to the 473rd Artillery Regiment, 99th Rifle Division, 46th Army, 2nd Ukrainian Front. 

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

It is then signed by the chief of staff of the 226(?) Independent Artillery Division, 235th Something Artillery Brigade, and then signed by him with the unit seal.

Dave

​Gents,

His assigned unit at the time of the photograph was the 226 Independent Artillery Battalion (the Russian word "divizion" is translated as battalion), 235th Howitzer Artillery Brigade.  The signature isn't Paramonov's, but rather that of the officer who verified his identity.  It appears to be verified/signed by a Major Lupash.

Regards,

slava1stclass

• 6 years later...

Hi all, I’m trying to identify the Soviet Army General in this photo. Seems he’s wearing the Hero of the Soviet Union medal. The photograph was likely taken in the late 1950s, likely around 1958-1960.

Also, looks like he holds the rank of Colonel General, possibly Army branch.

Does anyone have any indication of who this general might be?
    Thank you,

image.thumb.jpeg.01a829ff71461a0281bd428205bd8f63.jpeg