News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gordon's Book on KVKs

Hi Darrell,

Its a frustrating process, every time I think it is finished, some more material appears that I want to include. However, I have now reached the stage where I am drawing a line under what I have and sending in the material to Roger Bender.

In any case, after Roger receives the material there would be several months in design and layout work before it would go to print.

Jason Burmeister has contributed some superb detailed photos of fantastically rare pieces such as the RK of the KVK in Gold, with and without Swords and a mint cased Steinhauer RK of the KVK, the Cross still in its cellophane wrap. I thought my Steinhauer RK of the KVK was minty but this one is awesome.

Josef Charita has come up with the most accurate and complete listing yet of the RK winners and we have photos of the majority of them. Many of these people are obscure civilian types and only known from brief announcements in period newspapers, so its difficult to track down photos of them.

I'll keep you posted.

• 11 months later...

Matt,

You know as much as me. Unfortunately once completed and handed in to the publisher it just has to sit and wait out its turn in the queue of other books waiting to come out. I know he has a full schedule so it could be quite some time yet.

There are quite a few Knight's Cross winners I haven't found photos of yet, so the delay gives me more time to try and track them down.

Showing my ignorance/stupidity here: did anyone ever earn the EK Knights Cross and the KVK Knights Cross (with or without swords)? Was it even possible for someone to earn both?

Scott

Edited by Scott

Guest Darrell

Hi Gordon! Looking forward to another great book!

Wow ... that was discussed at WAF about the double awarding of these ... never seen that before :beer:

Guest Darrell

Gordon,

your book will again add so much knowledge to the common collector that it is just not fair to let all of us wait that long! I'm desperately awaiting it's release.

Dietrich

Not to mention Gordon's book on the 1914 Iron Cross :jumping:

Man...I wish someone would make a good book on wound badges.Not much book wise out there on them :( .

I am sure your book will be well done, Gordon

don

Edited by don

Man...I wish someone would make a good book on wound badges.Not much book wise out there on them :( .

I am sure your book will be well done, Gordon

don

One day Don, one day. There isn't really enough to write about on WW2 German Wound Badges on thier own, but add in Imperial, then maybe all the other Axis countries, in fact all the combatant nations of WW1 and WW2 and there is certainly enough material for a good book. Working on it for a future project. Getting pics of the stuff being worn (other than German) is the real challenge. Even pics of stuff like the humble British WW1 period badge like the one shown here being worn aren't so easy to find. This is the area I'm concentrating on at the moment, but the Imperial EK project has to some first.

Thanks Gordon for the info on your future project. I for one will be looking forward to it. I have noticed in the last couple of years that the wound badge area in our hobby has taken off. This might be due to the rising prices in our hobby. In my opinion the EK area is number one but I think the wound badge will catch up. Many wound badge collectors

Collect and study the full scope of the badge and not just one time period. A full scope

Reference book would be great.

Sorry for getting a bit of the topic from your new book.

don

Scott,

As you can see, the answer to your question is yes. There was nothing in the regulations of either award (EK or KVK) to prevent a soldier earning both Knight's Crosses.

Great!!! A great example to show EK and KVK wearing at a time. Thanks Gordon