News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon Bar on M1954 Colonel General's Parade Tunic?

diwe

Ribbon Bar on M1954 Colonel General's Parade Tunic?

Dear fellow collectors:

I stumbled in Moscow over a M1954 Colonel General's Parade Tunic (Staff Corps with violet piping). The only thing that is unusual is the ribbon bar that in my opinion does not belong on a parade tunic. However, the ribbon bar seems to be relatively old. Any ideas?
    Thanks so much!

Best

Dirk

IMG_4436B.jpg

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi,

The tunic comes certainly from the 2nd half of 1960s - there is already the medal for 20 years of victory over Germany of 1965, but it is lacking the medal for the 50th anniversary of Soviet Armed Forces of 1968.

It is not always possible to identify the owner of a uniform but this time I am pretty sure who it belonged to. IMHO it was owned by Col. Gen. Pavel Alexeyevich Kabanov (1897-1987), who during the war served in the railroad forces and after the war was the head of them. Please have a look at these two photos I have found. On the first, from the early 1960s Kabanov has 3 Orders of Lenin, 3 Orders of Red Banner, Order of Kutuzov 1st class, Order of Patriotic War 1st class, only one Order of Red Banner of Labor and practically the same set of Soviet medals that can be found on the tunic. He is also wearing the three medals of Czechoslovakia which are on the tunic and a medal which I cannot identify now (though I am sure I have seen it before) and which matches well the blue-white-red ribbon.

The second photo from 1970s, depicts the general already with 4 Orders of Lenin and two Orders of Red Banner of Labor and I belive there is also the medal for Defense of the Caucasus, which is missing on the first photo.

Although Soviet railroad troops wore green piping, I belive it did not regard generals.

Unfortunately Kabanov does not have an entry in the English Wikipedia, so here is a  link to Russian Wiki, which I hope may help:

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2,_%D0%9F%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BB_%D0%90%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%81%D0%B5%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87

So it was a great acquisition indeed!

Kind regards - Lukasz

Kabanov 1960s.jpg

Kabanov 1970s.jpg

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski
    Minor corrections

• 2 weeks later...
    On 31. Dezember 2015 at 04:24, Lukasz Gaszewski said:

Lukasz: Thank you so much for your assistance. What still confuses me is that the tunic is the pre-1956 model according to the buttons and the silver (not gold) stars on the shoulder boards. Did he attach the ribbon bar later? Typically you would see original medals on the parade tunic only in the later years a ribbon bar.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 8 months later...