News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Official. A necessary help is on a rank and department.

Sommerfeld

Paul R is correct.  This is an Austrian Statsbeamten of some sort.  This kind of tunic was worn from 1890 until?  1938 possibly? The tie was worn from the late 1800 but the shirt collar looks to me to be more in the 1930s.  The sword is probably circa 1935.  The hat style was worn for a couple of hundred years and as late as 1938.  I have one of these hats in my collection.  I would hazard a guess that he is a Railroad official but I don't have any reference material that shows the type of shoulder board he is wearing.  If the woman had been included in the picture we could possibly get a better guess at time frame from the clothing she is wearing.

Regards,

Gordon

Paul,

It probably is pre WWI but could be later as women wore these long dresses until after the war,  Thanks to this second picture I was able to identify the sabre as a kk state officials saber M1889.  It is great to have both pictures.  My reference book only shows this type of sabre as a model 1935.  All the earlier pictures show a degen being worn.  The uniform details in the first photo are very good but the woman's clothing really helps us date the photo.  Bad-Gastein is one hour from Salzburg in the Austrian Alps.  Could not find anything on the net for the photography shop of Max Galde.

13053503yu.jpg

Edited by Gordon Craig
    ADD PICTURE

Jörg C. Steiner illustrates this uniform in his "Uniformen und Blankwaffen der Staatsbeamten und der Bundesbeamten 1848-1938". As already alluded to, this gentleman is an official in an Austro-Hungarian Ministry and holds the rank of an official of the 4th Category, 3rd Grade (Vierte Kategorie, dritter Grad), that is an official of the 11th rank class (the lowest). The uniform accords to that of the 1889 uniform regulations.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn J,

I have the same book but I did not see this exact uniform/shirt combination shown in the book.  What page number are you referencing for your comment?  I am not doubting what you say I am just trying to learn here.  Also, where would I find the rank information that you reference in this book that we both have?

Trooper D,

Thanks for using the correct name or the photographer.  That really helps with the time frame.

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

the uniform is shown in a photograph on page 23. Illustrations from the regulations to include the service dress jacket and shoulder boards are on page 30 and 31. Rank classes are discussed on pages 17 and 18  and specific rank insignia according to grade on page 21.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

• 2 years later...
    • 4 months later...