News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Silver "Iron Cross"

[attachmentid=31275][attachmentid=31276][]I have in my collection the Cross in the attached photos.

The cross is convex measuring 40mm across the cross and

is solid silver, the back is stamped 925. There are three marks stamped

in the top ring. a. S H (?) b. 925 c. a sideward anchor. The centre has been

chemical blackened to look like iron.

Would you have any idea when the cross was made and for what purpose ?

Edited by hunter99

Very unusual! An anchor is the assay mark for Birmingham and of course 925 is usually an English silver content stamp.

Any chance of posting some close up shots of the marks and the reverse?

Cheers

Dave

Very unusual! An anchor is the assay mark for Birmingham and of course 925 is usually an English silver content stamp.

Any chance of posting some close up shots of the marks and the reverse?

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

Isn't the 925 (sterling silver) silver content stamp usually a lion or similar animal on English silver? Could it be an Austrian or other central power stamp?

Tony

Guest Rick Research

How about scanning (not enlarging this tiny scan, but scanning much larger) those hallmarks?

The only thing I can imagine this to be for is a ladies patriotic pendant (perhaps showing her husband, fiance,beau had won the EK) or for a watch fob. Had it been larger (58-62mm) I would say it was a one sided Grand Cross for wearing or for a funeral pillow. Still a great piece either way it turns out.

Dan Murphy

Guest Rick Research

I'm inclining to the "SH" actually being a Scandinavian date code, letter and number. Possibly a Finnish replacement for a local recipient who had lost or broken his issue piece from 1918?

There would seem to be NO good reason for so precise and accurate a replica, except as a wearing copy--

the question being

worn by WHOM?

I think that a size of 40 mm is rather large for a watch fob, a ladies patriotic pendant is quit possable. Or was it made for a female recipient of the 1 EK , to wear from a bow ? Between the wars would Grand Cross holders have worn their full size cross in evening dress or a miniture ? ( bit of a long shot)

The cross has been copied form a convex 1st class ,if the original was 44mm 10 % would have been lost in casting. The ring is about 1.25mm thick and the marks are .5mm, they are some of the smallest I have ever seen and very good quality.

Edited by hunter99