News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First document

2. rang: Pionier Ersatz Reserve

3. Pensel, Gottlieb

4. confession: grot.?

5. place of birth: Helmbrechts.
    “Bez. A. “ Bezirksamt Münchberg –born: 7/27/1887

6. place of living: Helmbrechts, Hoferstreet 13

7. single

8. partents: father Christian Pensel, merchant, dead – mother: Anna Pensel born Simon

9. military unit: 1. P. E. K.

11. orders: Iron cross, 2. class on 4/6/1917

12. taken part battles: “Stellungskämpfe in den mittleren Vogesen: 11/4/1916 – 11/15/1916.

Stellungskämpfe vor Verdun: 11/26/1916 – 12/14/1916.

Kämpfe bei Louvement and ?: 12/15/1916 and 12/16/1916

Stellungskämpfe vor Verdun: 12/17/1916 and 12/18/1916.

Stellungskämpfe in den mittleren Vogesen: 1/1/1917 – 1/10/1918

Stellungskämpfe in den Vogesen: 1/11/1918 – 11/11/1918

11/6/1918 – 11/25/1918, 12/19/1918 – 12/31/1918: Mit der Kompanie in Ruhe

13: „Kommandos und besondere Dienstverhältnisse: Laut telefonischer Verfügung Pionier Batallion No. 23 on 9/9/1918. Batallionstab kommandiert. 9/25/1918 zur Kg gekommen.

14: notes: mit Gewehr 98 und als Pionier ausgebildet. Schießklasse 2.

Additional notes: 7/27/1916 „wegen Krankheit dem Lazarett Leberan überwiesen. 8/3/1916 zur Kompanie zurück (Laut mündlicher Angabe Entfernung eines Ekzems am Geschlechtsteil). Ist über Verf. (?) – Ansprüche belehrt und erhebt solche vorerst nicht.

Second document

1: #193

2: Gottlieb Pensel

3: born 7/27/1887 in Helbrechts near Münchberg

4: parents: father: dead, mother: Anna Simon, merchants widow – place of living before soldier: Helmbrechts, Hoferstreet 13

5. confession: grot?, single

6. profession: merchant

7. hight: 1,6m – hair: “dunkelblond” light brown? – beard: “Schnurze” mustache

8. enlisting: Helmbrechts, “Ersatzreserve”

9. date of entering military service: 2/1/1916 – date of swearing-in: 2/12/1916

10. service: 8/3/1914 – 12/30.1915 14. Armee, Batallion, 1.
    Company – on 4/1/1916 „zur 2. Ersatzreserve versetzt“

13. behavior: very good

Sorry for my incomplete and bad translation. I wonder what confession Pensel had. The abbreviation is grot. Never saw it before.

greetings

Hermann

Edited by Hermann

Thanks Chris,

You must be familiar wirh the old German script (Sütterlin). May be 1-2 percent of Germans can read such a text. The particular problems are abbreviations. For example: Bez. A. for Bezirksamt, or 1.P.E.K. for a special military unit. 

I'm not a military epert. I'm a family researcher. And of course it's handwritten. You can't be sure about each individual letter.

Hi Hermann,

I know the problem ... for some reason the Religion Spalte is sometimes very hard to read, I have also had moments when i have read it and wondered if it was a religion I had never heard of. Some company clerks had a "flair" of their own when it came to handwriting. In the Bavarian Records many soldiers had 2 or 3 pages, sometimes you need all pages as the guy who did the entries on page 1 was hard to read.

"Kämpfe bei Louvement and ? " is "Kämpfe bei Louvemont und Bezonvaux".  The shooting range north of the Fort de Douaumont runs between these two destroyed villages.

"prot." is actually correctly written, if a bit sloppy.  Compare the "g" in "wegen", for example.

A minor peeve of mine.  This is not Sütterlinschrift, but rather the earlier script known simply as German cursive (Deutsche Kurrentschrift).  Sütterlin was only hired in 1911 to revise the script and his system began to be introduced in 1915 and did not become widespread until well after the war.  For the most part, adult Germans during the war continued to use the writing systems they grew up with.  Also, these Kriegsstammrollen were written by Bavarians, and Sütterlin was hired by the Prussian education ministry.  Herr Sütterlin does not deserve the credit for many a German schoolteacher's effort to make it hard for us to read old documents.

"prot." is actually correctly written, if a bit sloppy.  Compare the "g" in "wegen", for example.

Thank you Dave,

Somtimes you don't see the wood for the trees.

Hermann

Edited by Hermann