News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet "Liberation" Medals

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Here's Prague, for a 60th anniversary to the day thread

Guards Lieutenant Colonel Valentin Dmitrievich Yakimov of the 389th Guards "Order of the REd Banner" Self-Propelled Artillery Regiment received this medal on 5 February 1946, for moving in on the day the Czech uprising threw the Germans out... and the war OFFICIALLY ended in Europe.

The document was signed by regimental commander, Hero of the Soviet Union Akaky Konstantinovich Bukiya (1916-1974).

Guest Rick Research

Lieutenant Colonel Yakimov also received the Capture of Budapest Medal, processed on the same day in 1946.

Guest Rick Research

A typical civilian dress ribbon bar worn by a former Partisan who entered Prague on 9 May 1945, still living between 1988 and 1995

Guest Rick Research

Here's a Warsaw award booklet, to same recipient as in Capture of Berlin thread, Intendance (paymaster) branch Guards Major Dmitry Aleksandrovich Muller (an ethnic German), signed by Lt Col Siich, Chief Paymaster of the Baku Military District.

WHO signed these books is often an indication of what the recipient was, should no rank have been enetered.

Guest Rick Research

Belgrade is a RARE medal-- lucky you got his group, since this one does not bear his rank. Thinking of that, I had sloppily inferred that my Muller, above, was a Paymaster, because he was in the Intendance Branch-- as was Gavrilenko. Yet Gavrilenko, from his personnel records, seems to have been in the food/supply end of "administration," and I have NO clue what section Muller was in. I should be consitent when unknown and just call an Intendant an Intendant.

This booklet was signed by a Guards LtCol, with nice clear stamp of the 11th Guards Army "Department of Cadres." That was in the Baltic Military District when this was issued. This Army had not been involved at Belgrade, but Gavrilenko was, from his personnel records-- explaining such mysterious issues.

Guest Darrell

Here's a few of mine, I've neglected the Russian medals for years now and need to add a few more to this 'set' as such.

WOW ... nice Marcus ...

P.S. .. I'm expecting about (11) shhhh .... in about 2 weeks ....

Ooooh 11 !!!! What sorts are you getting I can't wait to have a look at those, I need to fish all my Russian bits and bobs out. I 've probably 20 plus more Russian medals but just the 'available' find every where sorts.

Still luv them though..it's of kind relaxing not to collect these mint or in bloody boxes and packets LOL

Kr

Marcus

• 3 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...
    Guest Darrell

Finally got the Rare Liberation of Belgrade in the mail today from Alexei (mentioned in the Defense thread). This completes the Capture / Defense and Liberation Sets.

This is a Variation 1 type ...

Edited by Darrell

• 2 months later...