A nice issue one goes for anywhere from about $65-$135 depending on the vendor. NCOs, Kapitulanten and Jäger bring more. I saw a fairly rare issue Hessen NCO sell for about 300 Euro. Personally, I wouldn't give over $75 for an private purchase one and would rather it would be more like $50-$60. Of course, just my personal opinions.

Chip

Here are some wartime issue Kompagnie knots I bought at Show-of-Shows last February.  I am not sure I see many knots changing hands for $50 anymore.   I paid $300 for my nice issue Jaeger knot a couple of years ago.

SOS.JPG

Edited by Jeff Noll

Jeff,

I'm just saying that the private purchase ones are not as valuable as the issue ones. People ask all sorts of prices...so, I guess what I meant was that personally, I would not pay more than $50-$60 Dollars for a private purchase one (actually, I'd pay nothing, because I wouldn't buy one).

Edited by Chip

Chip,  Absolutely no offense taken.  I freely admit that the enlisted company private purchase knots are my least favorite and frankly I don't even look at them anymore.  I do have a bunch and try to find them in the wartime configuration with gray tassels and strap, not easy.  BTW the wartime 10th company (Y-R-Y) in nice condition has eluded me.  If anyone has an extra please contact me.  The only knot in the photo I have put on a bayonet is the 7th company w/the tied tassels so the rest would be available. 

Edited by Jeff Noll

Chip,  Bayonets, frogs and knots have been a focus of my collection for ever.  I have many knots and they have been an interest for some time.

Here is a private purchase knot I cannot identify.  It could be an Imperial gardener's?  What do you guys think?  I is a small knot.  One I classify for a trench knife or similar (you can see its size as it is on a trench knife).  

Trench Knife Troddel green a1.jpg

Trench Knife Troddel green a2.jpg

Here is a drouler.  Had a chance to buy this set at Show of Shows last February but passed for reasons I am still trying to understand????  It was not cheap but I will probably never have a chance to buy some of  these knots again!  The colors were brighter in person.

NCO collection.JPG

Edited by Jeff Noll

OMG! You passed on that! They must have been asking a fortune for it. There are some obsolete state knots there that one never sees, not to mention the Mecklenburg, Hessen and Reichs examples. Thanks for showing this. I've only seen some of them as drawings. Very nice indeed. Did you get a chance to confirm that they were all real (wooden ball, etc.)?

Chip

Chip,  Sadly they were ALL real!!!  A well known German collector had them.  I had just purchased an Imperial German occupation assembled Bergmann-Bayard 1910.  The price for the group was $5K and it was a bridge too far.  Jeff

That set is beautiful but 5k is super high. Some I've not seen before but I'm not expert at all on these items. I seriously want a Hessen knot.

I have a Saxon knot on my enlisted mans display but not sure it issue or private purchase

Jeff,

At that price I can't fault you for passing, especially if you already have most of the ones that would have been worn in WWI. There would only be three there that I would really want to complete my NCO wartime set. At over $400 each, including the more common Prussian one, the set is only for someone with cash to burn.

Chip

Edited by Chip