News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

So SUE Me, Comrade!

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

That's right-- here we have a KGB Lieutenant of "legal" branch.

[attachmentid=33111]

I am not sure exactly when these date from, if ever the State Security legal branch DID have narrow boards the way the armed forces did from 1943- to late 1950s. The pips appear to be aluminum under very thick gold plating, while the branch device is gilt steel... so probably late 1950s or so, maybe as overcoat boards?

PS as a "scanner tip" I just discovered that if you scan these boards UPRIGHT, the shadows are all removed by the moving scanner and what comes out is a formless lump. But turn the board sideways like this one and the pattern in the bullion comes out sharp and clear.

I may be old, but I am slow.

That's right-- here we have a KGB Lieutenant of "legal" branch.

[attachmentid=33111]

I am not sure exactly when these date from, if ever the State Security legal branch DID have narrow boards the way the armed forces did from 1943- to late 1950s. The pips appear to be aluminum under very thick gold plating, while the branch device is gilt steel... so probably late 1950s or so, maybe as overcoat boards?

PS as a "scanner tip" I just discovered that if you scan these boards UPRIGHT, the shadows are all removed by the moving scanner and what comes out is a formless lump. But turn the board sideways like this one and the pattern in the bullion comes out sharp and clear.

I may be old, but I am slow.

KGB Legal? would that be a oxymoron? or a contradiction in terms? Anyway nice boards. I'll have to try your tip never thought of that, my old age is getting to me too.

Guest Rick Research

Bargains rarely come my way. This was less a "song" than a few "bars" :rolleyes::ninja:

Would welcome more Cold War KGB "action" here... I miss my first online guru of all things State Security, Shawn Caza. If anybody's in touch with him/if he's back home again, please let him know about this website. :beer: