News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hauptmann Griepenkerl's Wound Badge

Guest Rick Research

This is rather nice, for a mimeographed type document.

Griepenkerl was then Ist Battalion commander of Field Artillery Regiment 267 of 208th Infantry Division. It's commander on 6 October 1918 was Major Morgenroth, ex of FAR 15 before the war.

From this very late date, I assume this was FOR a very late wound-- less than two months before the war's end.

Griepenkerl himself had been in FAR 19 (detached for courses at the Military Horsemanship Institute 1913-14)

Leutnant 14.2.06 vorpatentiert in 1908

Oberleutnant 8.10.14

Hauptmann 18.12.15

Guest Rick Research

He was STILL a Hauptmann when he disappeared (on me, anyway) with the 1928 Reichsheer Rank List.

Here he was in 1924:

But wait! That's not all! :shame:

Guest Rick Research

From the 1911 issue of "Wer Ist's?" (which I saw 30 years ago but have no scans for, obviously in "what's a computer?" days)--

Kurt Griepenkerl was born 28 April 1888. How do I know that? Because his Papa's entry said so--

Captain Griepenkerl's parents were: eventually Generalleutnant aD Otto F.W.T. Griepenkerl (born 16 February 1851 Calv?rde, Brunswick, died 1930): Prussian army 4 May 1869 in Fusileer Regt 43, SecLt 79, PremLt 80, Hptm 83 (General Sraff 1884), Maj 93 Otl 99 Oberst 27.1.02 and CO Inf Rgt 30, char. Generalmajor 10.4.06 and retired in same rank 1911 as Commandant of Fortress Thorn, recalled for WW1 as Military District of Poniewicz Inspector, re-retired as Generalleutnant) and (married 12 July 1887) Katherina Freiin von Stromberg.

Captain Griepenkerl's paternal grandparents were Physiker-und-Sanit?ts-rat Dr. Otto Griepenkerl (alive 1911) and Marie Materne, who had died on 22.12.1869.

Captain Griepenkerl's sister Edith (born 28 January 1890 for those of you keeping track) married in said year of 1911 then-Oberleutnant of Foot Artillery Regiment 15 Hermann Voigt-Ruscheweyh.

Now Captain Griepenkerl's brother in law Hermann (born 30 may 1880, died 26 August 1969) was a Lt 18.8.99, Oberlt 17.9.09, Hptm 1.10.13, Major 1.4.22 and Oberstleutnant 1.2.28--

on 1 November 1928 brother in law Hermann DISAPPEARED from Reichsheer Rank List because

he had gone off to be a Military Advisor in Turkey until 31 October 1933, whereupon he transferred to the German Military Mission to NATIONALIST China until recalled by an embarassed Hitler 5 July 1938. (Shooting at the new Japanese allies wasn't considered "nice.") He then switched over to the Luftwaffe, making Oberst in 1940 and Generalmajor 1 October 1943 #12:

So

what happened to Captain Griepenkerl of Artillery Regiment 4 in 1928? did ANYTHING happen to him in 1928? He DOES disappear at SOME point, never to appear in German army lists again for 1939 on. He would have made Major at the end of 1928. Anybody got 1929-32 Rank Lists showing him still in service, or at the bottom of his Final Unit as "died xx.xx?"

Sad to say, I do NOT have anything noted on Captain Griepenkerl's maternal grandparents! :o:cheeky:

Rick,

I like the personal history stuff too, but another thing that I find of particular interest is the little geometrical designs in the upper corners of this document. The 267.FAR as part of the 208th, so-called "Strich-Division", wore this design as a unit insignia on the left lower arm of their tunics. The triangle over a horizontal stripe, both in white cloth, were worn from the summer of 1917 on. Supposedly, these insignia were also painted on the back of their helmets as well. Here is a scarce photo of the insignia being worn by a soldier from the regiment (photo courtesy C.Wagner).

Chip

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: That's very interesting and unexpected about the unit insignia, Chip! Thanks! :beer:

Christophe: there is no little notation at the bottom of Kurt's 1930 unit in 1931 saying "retired" or "died"? Did he get promoted to Major?

Brothers in law, reunited after alllllll these years! :beer:

• 2 years later...
    Guest Rick Research

Two more years. The Weimar Rolls obtained, transcribed, and published. Add THIS to his entry, folks with our books:

From the never published Luftwaffe 1944 A2 (apparently same as the army "S" List) that Glenn found--

"Wm" as branch abbreviation stands for "Offiziere in Wehrmachtsorganisationen." Noooooooooooooo clue what that MEANT.

But Griepenkerl had joined his brother in law in the air force, made it to full Colonel, and was still alive at the end of 1944.

Research never ends.

Thanks Glenn!!! :cheers:

• 2 years later...

Not sure if Rick still frequents this or any other forum but I did find more information about Kurt Griepenkerl. Recently I purchased his Soldbuch and two documents (KVK 2 and 1).

Additional Units (exact dates still missing)

00.00.00-00.00.39 Fliegerhortskommandeur Schwerin

00.00.00-00.00.00 Wehrersatzinspektion Schwerin i.M

00.00.00-00.00.00 Wehrbezirkskommando Graz

11.07.41-30.05.42 Luftflotten-Kommando 4

00.00.42-00.00.44 Wehrbezirkskommando Rostock

Rank

00.00.39 Oberstleutnant

01.12.40 Oberst

Awards:

00.00.00 Königreich Preußen Eiserne Kreuz 2. Klasse (WW1 Iron Cross 2nd Class)

00.00.00 Königreich Preußen Eiserne Kreuz 1. Klasse (WW1 Iron Cross 1st Class)

00.00.00 Großherzogtum Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach, Hausorden vom weißen Falken, 2 Klasse. mit Schwertern

06.10.18 Königreich Preußen Verwundeten-Abzeichen in Schwartz (Wound Badge in Black)

00.00.00 Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz (Hamburg Hanseatic cross)

00.00.00 Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse (Brunswick War cross 2nd class)

00.00.00 Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz I. Klasse (Brunswick War Service Cross 1st class)

00.00.36 Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer (Honor Cross "Hindenburg Cross" with swords)

00.00.00 Dienstauszeichnung IV Klasse (Long Service Award 4th Class)

01.09.41 Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse mit Schwerten (War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords)

17.01.42 Kriegsverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse mit Schwerten (War Merit Cross 1st Class with Swords)

07.11.42 Medaille "Winterschlacht Im Osten 1941/42" (Winter War Medal 1941/42)

Edited by spanferkel

I guess there is no new info in there about what he did between 1930 and 1939?

Unfortunately nothing other than what I indicated for the tail end of 38/39. With the documents being in seperate collections I suspect this is a classic case of itmes being split up which is terrible to say the least.

Hopefully soemone else will have the missing link to make the circle complete.

ps Paul C - Glad Rick was able to see the additional info., thanks

Jeremy