Sign in to follow this  
Morar Andrei

A brief description of the siege of Przmesyl

I want to know a bit more about the role of the hungarian units during this battle, especially about the ones composed in a large portion from transylvanians, such as the 23rd Honveds frim Hermenstadt. Were they fighting bravely or desserted to the russians? More than that, how did they perform at Przmesyl?

Szturm_Twierdzy_Przemysl_A._Ritter_von_Meissl.jpg

The Hungarian soldiers in the besieged fortress served well .at the same level of the Germans. General Kusmanek the Austrian commandant during the negotiations for the capitulation solicited the free retreat of his soldiers to Hungary. that was not granted .in Budapest exists a conmemorative monument of the defence of the fortress.

Yes ,Hermann Kusmanek von Burgneustadten was born the 18th September !860 in Hermannstadt

It feels a bit different when you read about the battle and you know that you had a family member who fought there and most probably even met his end, together with most of his comrades . It made me think quite a lot about what happened on that final days, and gave me the idea that at least once I should get to Przemysl and see the fortress. 

I made some studies in local archives and works that treat the history of the area I live in, and that confirms the guys I was looking for in "Unknown Austro-Hungarian uniform" were part of the 23rd Honved Regiment, 3rd battalion, and according to the studies, only 1 out of 6 men returned home from the unit, story similar to most regiments conscripted in the Fogaras district.