News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PLEASE HELP, Konteradmiral Walter Isendahl: Medal Bar ID

Neck order (From top to bottom)
    - Kgl. Preuß. Kronen-Orden II. Klasse mit Schwertern
    - Komtur I. Klasse des Kgl. Württembg. Friedrichs-Ordens mit Schwertern
    - Finn. Freiheitskreuz I. Klasse mit Schwertern

Medal Bar : 13 medals
    - 1914 EK II 
    - Kgl. Preuß. Roter Adler-Orden IV. Klasse 
    - Kgl. Preuß. Kronen-Orden III. Klasse 
    - Braunschweigisches Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse 
    - Hanseatenkreuz Hamburg
    - Hanseatenkreuz Bremen
    - k.u.k. Österr. Orden der Eisernen Krone III Klasse mit der Kriegsdekoration 
    - k.u.k. Österr. Militär-Verdienstkreuz III Klasse mit der Kriegsdekoration
    - Round medal, perhaps the Finn. Erinnerungsmedaille des Freiheitskrieg 1918 ??? (notice the clasp above it!) (since he has the Finn. Freiheitskreuz I. Klasse mit Schwertern)
    - ??? (perhaps one of his 2 Russian awards?)
    - Kgl. Preuß. Kaiser Wilhelm-Erinnerungsmedaille 1897 ???
    - China Denkmünze in Bronze or Kolonial Denkmünze ??? (he was in Tsingtau, China for three months in 1898) The ribbon above this medal has straight vertical lines, I took this photo with a phone so it doesn't show the lines, but I can see the lines when looking at this photo in the book.
    - RK II. Klasse des Kgl. Sächs. Albrechts-Ordens

Here is the full list of his awards from Rangliste 1914 and 1918:

- 1914 EK I
    - 1914 EK II
    - Kgl. Preuß. Kaiser Wilhelm-Erinnerungsmedaille 1797-1897 (“Centenarmedaille”)
    - Russischer St. Annen-Orden III. Klasse
    - Russischer St. Stanislaus-Orden II. Klasse
    - Kgl. Preuß. Roter Adler-Orden IV. Klasse
    - Kgl. Preuß. Kronen-Orden III. Klasse
    - RK II. Klasse des Kgl. Sächs. Albrechts-Ordens
    - Komtur I. Klasse des Kgl. Württembg. Friedrichs-Ordens mit Schwertern
    - Braunschweigisches Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse
    - Braunschweigisches Kriegsverdienstkreuz I. Klasse
    - Türkischer Eiserner Halbmond
    - Kgl. Preuß. Dienstauszeichnungskreuz
    - Hanseatenkreuz Hamburg

Presumably he also had:

- Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer

- Finn. Freiheitskreuz I. Klasse mit Schwertern (3rd medal around the neck)

- Finn. Erinnerungsmedaille des Freiheitskrieg 1918 (because he recieved the Finn. Freiheitskreuz I. Klasse mit Schwertern, also I don't know if he's wearing it on the photo)

- Kgl. Preuß. Kronen-Orden II. Klasse mit Schwertern (around the neck, first medal)

- Hanseatenkreuz Bremen (not listed in the 1918 Rangliste, but perhaps he recieved it after 1918, we can't check because he retired in 1920)

It seems he didn't mount the 2 Russian awards he had and also the Kgl. Preuß. Dienstauszeichnungskreuz?

I can try and take a better photo from the book if needed.

And please do correct me if I made any mistakes!

Thanks!

28313236_1848978318448250_476856512_n (1).jpg

• 1 year later...

It is the Komtur II. Klasse if the Friedrichs-Orden. No breast star. The WF2aX was probably an error in the rank list.

The third decoration on the medal bar is the Dienstauszeichnungskreuz. His KO3 was replaced by the KO2X. 

I think you are correct about the last three being the China-Denkmünze, presumably in Stahl, the Centenary, and the Albrechtsorden. The medal 5th from last may be Finnish, but I can't be sure. As for the cross or whatever it is after that and before the China-DM, I have no idea. It does not appear to be the Stanislaus or Anna. 

Thanks Dave! Is there a possibility the Rangliste wasn't wrong about the WF2aX, but that he simply didn't mount the breast star on this particular photo?

And you agree the second Hanseatenkreuz is the one from Bremen?

You think it is the China-Denkmünze in Stahl based on the photo? Couldn't it be the Bronze version?

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

18 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

and the Albrechtsorden. The medal 5th from last may be Finnish, but I can't be sure.

Hi,

I am a layman in medal related topics. So excuse me, if the answer to my question is obvious to most.Is there a protocol that details what foreign medals were worn in what order (here: Finish in front of Saxon)?

Thank you!

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

8 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thanks Dave! Is there a possibility the Rangliste wasn't wrong about the WF2aX, but that he simply didn't mount the breast star on this particular photo?

And you agree the second Hanseatenkreuz is the one from Bremen?

You think it is the China-Denkmünze in Stahl based on the photo? Couldn't it be the Bronze version?

He received the WF2bX on 27.11.1915.  Yes to Bremen - Lübeck's half-red/half-white ribbon would be noticeable. He did not serve in China during the Boxer rebellion, so any China-DM would be in steel. 

32767_04189101-00032.thumb.jpg.848bf6cde42e8f51a37b69b1c851e695.jpg

20 minutes ago, Dave Danner said:

Proprietary information. A colleague who has reviewed the Württemberg award lists. 

Ok, so it's the Komturkreuz 2. Klasse?

It seems odd that both the 1916 and 1918 Rangliste made the error, they list Komturkreuz 1. Klasse.

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral