News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Khedive Star Question

I recently inherited an 1882 Khedive Star which was awarded to my 2nd Great Uncle.  Unfortunately, it had been polished at some point in time.  Should I darken the bronze to its original color or keep it like it is?  I was thinking of using Jax Brown-Black Bronze Darkener.  Does anyone have any experience with it?

Also, sadly it is missing the ribbon and crescent and star bar.  Does anyone know a source where I might purchase a replacement?

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Only my opinion and many others will have a different one but I would leave it as it is, part of the history of the medal for me.

If I may enquire what was your 2nd Great Uncle's Unit, any idea of the whereabouts of his other medals.

Regards Simon.

Cancel my request, I have just read your other post and discovered the Unit in question, thanks.

Simon.

Thank you for the welcome!

Captain, 5th Dragoon Guards.

My brother and I split all the medals.  It was difficult to break them up, but we both deserved to have some of them. 

Hello

just my own thoughts 

obviously dont split them if you both plan to sell...

if you both plan on keeping them then frame then all together and argue over that instead....

otherwise you probably both have your share in a drawer or tin or similar....

But i appreciate life is not often that simple !

tony

1 hour ago, Farkas said:

Hello

just my own thoughts 

obviously dont split them if you both plan to sell...

if you both plan on keeping them then frame then all together and argue over that instead....

otherwise you probably both have your share in a drawer or tin or similar....

But i appreciate life is not often that simple !

tony

They've already been split, but I don't think either of us has any plans to sell.  I'm going to frame the ones I have -- and maybe collect the ones I don't.  I haven't decided if I want to do that or not.  So, would you darken the Khedive's Star or keep it polished?

Hi, with regards to polished stars, they are generally made of bronze, I have several WWI stars made from bronze, (Generally called the "Mons Star"), they too were polished at some point, bronze, like silver, when exposed to the atmosphere will, over time start to tarnish again naturally, it will take time but they now look as though they were never polished, and without any artificial intervention, depends if you are prepared to wait, as for replacement bits and pieces, "Liverpool Medals" are a well known medal dealer, they sometimes have "Spare parts"

http://www.liverpoolmedals.com/World-Medals-and-Decorations/