News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all, I got a nice photo. It's showing a wehrmacht Heer officer who was a former ww1 pilot. 

Can someone maybe ID him? 

His decorations are:

Iron Cross 2nd class / Hamburg Hanseatic Cross / Brunswick MVK 2nd class  / Mecklenburg MVK 2nd class / FEK / Hungarian WW1 Medal

Iron Cross 1st class / Mecklenburg MVK 1st class / Pilot Badge

IMG_20190213_152542_wm.jpg

Of course, as soon as I hit enter above, I thought, "maybe I should check another source of mine". And what do I find:

Cramer, Ludwig, * 18.4.1895 in Hamburg. He was commissioned a Leutnant in Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 6 on 2.3.1915, and went to the Fliegertruppe later that year. He served in FA 39, Jasta 3 and FA(A) 268. He returned to active duty on 15.9.1934 as a Hauptmann, was promoted to Major on 1.1.1939, Oberstleutnant on 1.12.1941 and Oberst on 1.7.1944.  He was a Kompanie-Chef in Kavallerie-Schützen-Regiment 7 in the Austrian annexation and Poland campaign and a battalion commander in Schützen-Regiment 7 in the Western campaign (Rommel was his division commander). After that he was a staff officer and later served in Wehrersatzwesen.

So the picture does predate the award of the WHDA4 on 2.10.1936. He also received the Anschluß Medal, the Spangen to both classes of the Iron Cross, the War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords, and the Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze.

2 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

Of course, as soon as I hit enter above, I thought, "maybe I should check another source of mine". And what do I find:

Cramer, Ludwig, * 18.4.1895 in Hamburg. He was commissioned a Leutnant in Dragoner-Regiment Nr. 6 on 2.3.1915, and went to the Fliegertruppe later that year. He served in FA 39, Jasta 3 and FA(A) 268. He returned to active duty on 15.9.1934 as a Hauptmann, was promoted to Major on 1.1.1939, Oberstleutnant on 1.12.1941 and Oberst on 1.7.1944.  He was a Kompanie-Chef in Kavallerie-Schützen-Regiment 7 in the Austrian annexation and Poland campaign and a battalion commander in Schützen-Regiment 7 in the Western campaign (Rommel was his division commander). After that he was a staff officer and later served in Wehrersatzwesen.

So the picture does predate the award of the WHDA4 on 2.10.1936. He also received the Anschluß Medal, the Spangen to both classes of the Iron Cross, the War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords, and the Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze.

Thank you so much for your fantastic research. It's nice to put a name to this photograph 

• 4 months later...