News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gold Badge for the 25th anniversary of the Great Patriotic War

Guest Rick Research

Axtually, they should all have a gold finish. I've seen a few oddballs with silver finish. The one I've got happens to be both maker marked and dated 1972, so a replacement/private purchase/duplicate?

[attachmentid=34656]

[attachmentid=34657]

Actually, this is a particularly interesting badge to collect since they were made by a number of companies and with varied details to the design, "enamel" paint versus plain old paint, maker marked, unmarked etc etc. There was no special "de luxe" version for ranking recipients (though there was with the flimsy little award documents-- we've got those of both types in one of the original threads here in the Back Pages)--all the variations are simply by maker.

Guest Rick Research

What--if any-- maker marks are on your badge?

The only one I've ever seen dated is the silver colored one above.

The silver looking badge has makers marks like yours while the Gold looking badge has none. I am looking at these side-by-side and they still look like one is silver and one is gold. Colonel Fedorov's is the silver looking one with maker marks. I've also noticed that the gold colored badge is larger.

Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Interesting that such an auspicious occassion warranted this simple little badge....

Yes, Rick, I have always wondered this too. Why were (appreantly) lesser occasions commemorated by medals, but this only by a pretty "low-end" (ugly) badge. Maybe, someday, someone will choose to and be able to look at the records? Isn't that a more interesting question, that tells us more about how the system worked, than who was awarded Red Star # 666,666?

Its a crisp card version in my parlance...he must also have been wounded and discharged as he has both medals for Victory over Germany.

Just because its simple it not distract from me its importance to the wearer or its significance.

Chris