News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello all,
    I am looking for the first name and any additional information on a WW1 pilot named Droth. He was with Flieger-Abteilung 33 from at least October 1917 (as a Vizefeldwebel) to at least July 1918, by which time he had been commissioned. There was a Lt dR Droth who was awarded the Hausorden von Hohenzollern in 1918 and it might be the same man.

Thanks a lot,
    Matt.

Hi Matt

I dont have a first name but he was promoted Lt dR on 31.10.1917 (I Hamburg). I dont knew if the award rolls for HHK still exists but he is probably there.

The first note I have him in FA 33 is in July 1917.

Gunnar

Hi,

nobody by this name was born in Hamburg  between 1886-1900 (General registry of births) and nobody by this name is listed in the Addressbooks of Hamburg in 1914,1916,1917 or 1920. So chances are substantial that he was not a Hamburg citizen or that he lived in Hamburg (at least during the time checked).

GreyC

Hi All,
    Thanks for your replies. I assume that Hamburg was the region where he enlisted then?
    I will be grateful to anyone who can verify the name or unit of the Hohenzollern recipient :)

Kind Regards,
    Matt.

Well,

I am not so sure about that. If he wasn´t in the German Luftstreitkräfte from the get go, he might have been enlisted in an infantry regiment from Hamburg, got wounded, was declared unfit for infantry service at the front and switched to the FA33. This happened quite often. However upon checking the German loss-list there was no candidate that seemed likely. There was one Droth from Lübeck who got wounded...

I think it is more likely he got the Hanseatenkreuz for helping out some unit of Hamburg origin with his service.

GreyC

• 1 year later...