News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Normandy 1944 campaign Medal - WW2 - Help!

Hi gents

Need some help on how to get information to who this British Normandy 1944 Medal with a serial No.11751  was given to.   

Is there any online records available where I could get that info?

Regards & thanks

P.

normandycmedal.jpg

These unofficial medals have become quite popular in the last couple decades among veterans and their supporters who feel  that these men and women deserve more recognition than was given by the official medals and clasps.  However, as they are not official and are sold as a commercial venture, albeit with the support of veterans groups, there is no official register and I can see no evidence at the sales site that they are keeping track, except perhaps to prevent one person buying two medals, though I suspect even that is possible.  

Peron,  Some one probably'upgraded' the presentation case/box shown in your post, perhaps in an attempt to make it appear an 'official Royal Mint' issue.  Besides Award [Shrewsbury, UK], Cogswell [London, UK] retailed these in red or blue color exterior cases/boxes--first image below shows a red one.  Containers seen to date have either white, blue or both color interiors.  Red exterior cases display the inscription "Normandy 1944' in gilt.  Original blue exterior cases could be ordered with the recipient's name and unit laser engraved on a small plaque fixed to the top of the case lid.  [At additional fee?]  So whomever 'upgraded' the case lost a possible connection to the original holder if in fact the piece was obtained by a qualified veteran.   

I have seen nearly 20 of these medals but do not recall any with hallmarks or mint marks nor any definitely identifiable as Royal Mint production.  Would estimate that 1/3 had numbers either engraved on the rim, bar clasp reverse or written inside the case.  I have never seen a document or cover letter for this medal.   

A U.S. based firm specializing in similar unofficial commemorative awards offers what it calls a D-Day Commemorative Medal as well as a document for that medal.  This item's design may be seen on-line.  Criteria to obtain it appears to be payment of the purchase fee.

Gordon, the UK veterans' organization that authorized this medal disbanded several years ago. 

The British Normandy Campaign medal ribbon signifies typical air force, navy, & army colors.  It's ribbon pattern resembles that of the first type Order of Saint Catherine of Mount Sinai, a self-styled chivalric order active from about 1880 to 1920.  Usually the red stripe is narrower for this Order's ribbon than in 2nd image below however.   A group 'revived' the Order around 1980 using a simple red ribbon.

2071054515_Normandymedal.jpg.ec4d63a4efc3f953eea1c13cd3d9b798.jpg

SteCatherine  Sinaï (1).jpg

Edited by 922F
    spelchek

1 hour ago, 922F said:

Peron,  Some one probably'upgraded' the presentation case/box shown in your post, perhaps in an attempt to make it appear an 'official Royal Mint' issue.  Besides Award [Shrewsbury, UK], Cogswell [London, UK] retailed these in red or blue color exterior cases/boxes--first image below shows a red one.  Containers seen to date have either white, blue or both color interiors.  Red exterior cases display the inscription "Normandy 1944' in gilt.  Original blue exterior cases could be ordered with the recipient's name and unit laser engraved on a small plaque fixed to the top of the case lid.  [At additional fee?]  So whomever 'upgraded' the case lost a possible connection to the original holder if in fact the piece was obtained by a qualified veteran.   

I have seen nearly 20 of these medals but do not recall any with hallmarks or mint marks nor any definitely identifiable as Royal Mint production.  Would estimate that 1/3 had numbers either engraved on the rim, bar clasp reverse or written inside the case.  I have never seen a document or cover letter for this medal.   

A U.S. based firm specializing in similar unofficial commemorative awards offers what it calls a D-Day Commemorative Medal as well as a document for that medal.  This item's design may be seen on-line.  Criteria to obtain it appears to be payment of the purchase fee.

Gordon, the UK veterans' organization that authorized this medal disbanded several years ago. 

The British Normandy Campaign medal ribbon signifies typical air force, navy, & army colors.  It's ribbon pattern resembles that of the first type Order of Saint Catherine of Mount Sinai, a self-styled chivalric order active from about 1880 to 1920.  Usually the red stripe is wider for this Order's ribbon than in 2nd image below however.   A group 'revived' the Order around 1980 using a simple red ribbon.

2071054515_Normandymedal.jpg.ec4d63a4efc3f953eea1c13cd3d9b798.jpg

SteCatherine  Sinaï (1).jpg

Heres a photo of the lid...

normandycmedal1.jpg

Criteria to obtain it appears to be payment of the purchase fee.

Sadly, I believe this is accurate.  Most will have gone to men and women who did fit the criteria, whatever those were determined to be, but others certainly wind up with various dreamers, scammers and Wallies.