News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can you read/translate this?

Von Thronstahl

I am not familiar with French language at all. Therefore, I am asking for help with some photos I have.   I would be very grateful for your help. I´ve bought recently big lot of ww1 photos(cca 100+) and some of them have writings on their back. I will scan them in upcoming days, 2-3 per day and post them here.   I hope you will enjoy the photos.  

First photo is not part of that lot bu I am also interested in writing on the back.  

Thank you in advance. 

img528.jpg

img529.jpg

img532.jpg

img533.jpg

img536.jpg

img537.jpg

Hello,

I will give it a try. The first picture is an old style handwriting, and it is too difficult for me, but perhaps someone else can.

The second one reads: Walancourt forrest 19/3/18, (Unreadable, maybe rank or position) Henrique Edelmann (unknown to me)

The third one: Day 7-14,  P.S.P. Edelmann, corporal-chef (Sorel??) reinforcements (Unknown word to me, maybe region) of Bathincourt

Hope this helps a bit, or give some else a good starting piont to help you out.

Cheers

Sampo

2 hours ago, Sampo said:

Hello,

I will give it a try. The first picture is an old style handwriting, and it is too difficult for me, but perhaps someone else can.

The second one reads: Walancourt forrest 19/3/18, (Unreadable, maybe rank or position) Henrique Edelmann (unknown to me)

The third one: Day 7-14,  P.S.P. Edelmann, corporal-chef (Sorel??) reinforcements (Unknown word to me, maybe region) of Bathincourt

Hope this helps a bit, or give some else a good starting piont to help you out.

Cheers

Sampo

Thank you very much. You really helped me a lot.  

Maybe Bathincourt is Bethencourt -sur-Somme and Walancourt is Mallancourt near Meuse. 

Edited by Von Thronstahl

Here is a bit of the first card translated.  The handwriting is a real challenge, and my French is mediocre at best, so no guarantees I'm getting it right.

Pont a ?? [?? Bridge] the 5th of November, 1915; The Machine Gun Section, 47th Regiment, 2nd Battalion.

Address: Mademoiselle Andree Mollandre,[ indecipherable], Sienne and Oise Department [Province]

Message: ‘Ma cheri’ [‘Jodie’ ???  a pet name?].  As I wrote to your parents, I would be in Biceli ?? on Saturday August 13th.

Thank you Peter.  At least now I know I am not missing much. I have more than enough experience with old military letters and photos and I know about censorship but whenever I get some new photos I always wonder what secrets might I encounter. When they get translated, usually they are thanking each other for letters they receive and they inform each other about letters they will send.  No epiphanies. 

I scanned photos.  Here they are.  That is all with captions on their back.   

I tried to upload more but it seems that I can upload only 8 MB.   

img542.jpg

img543.jpg

img544.jpg

img545.jpg

img546.jpg

img547.jpg

img548.jpg

img549.jpg

img550.jpg

img551.jpg

img552.jpg

img553.jpg

Edited by Von Thronstahl

Hello Peter,the second pic reads: Bois de Malancourt , 15th March 1918. Abbe Henrique,Edelmann,Moi. the Bois the Malancourt not far from Mort Homme at the North west of Verdun and on the left bank of the River Meuse was the scenario on the 20th March 1916 of a strong German attack with Artillery fire ,blowing of mines and use of flammable liquids from 7AM to 16 PM ,then the destroyed trenches were assaulted frontally and at the rear with use of the cover of dense smoke and throwing hand grenades. At the end the Germans captured the Bois, two bataillons of the 111th Infantry regiment ,nearly all the 258 Infantry regiment ,the General commanding the Brigade ,the two Colonels and all the Brigade Staff , about 3000 men . It was a severe blow to the French Army. regarding the pic of two years later , the three men on it belongs to the Military Health Service. the Abbe is a Priest ,the two others wears Red Cross armbands.On the fifth pic appears again the Abbe , without the coat he uses on the first pic .with him is Edelmann and the Captain Larroux. the pic also says: ilegible ,first line Avrocourt,2hours from ilegible. the Bois de Malancourt was correctly named Avracourt _ Malancourt.

Excuse Me , I wrote Avracourt, It is AVOCOURT .