News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wurttemburg Military merit order

Hi Does anyone have any information regarding the Grand Cross of the order, it is mentioned in numerous places but whilst I've seen images of the Sash, and lower grades, I can't locate any details on the Grand cross, Did it exist? it states that very few were awarded, so is obviously rare, any details photo'd and dimensions etc appreciated

regards

Hi Alex,

Does this help at all?

Verleihungszahlen

1806/15
    Ordensklasse Gesamt
    Großkreuz 20
    Komtur 68
    Ritterkreuz 620
    1818/57
    Ordensklasse Gesamt
    Großkreuz 5
    Komtur 25
    Ritterkreuz 30
    1870/89
    Ordensklasse Gesamt
    Großkreuz 34
    Komtur 65
    Ritterkreuz 173
    1892/1914
    Ordensklasse Gesamt
    Großkreuz 13
    Komtur 27
    Ritterkreuz 55
    Erster Weltkrieg 1914/18
    Ordensklasse Württemberger Ausländer Gesamt
    Großkreuz 2 14 18
    Komtur 11 8 19
    Ritterkreuz 2.170 119 2.289

WMV.jpg

Edited by Taz

Hi Taz, thanks for the information, yes it all helps, one additional question, the cross you posted appears to be a cloth type for sewing to the uniform, attached is the sash, currently on a dealers site, together with a "Type 3?" breast badge, what would have been attached to the sash, I assume there was something

regards

1-orders-80mm germany.jpg

36507_1505686298-850x550_width_100.jpg

Getragen wurde das Großkreuz ebenso wie das Komturkreuz um den Hals, allerdings zusätzlich mit einem silbernen Steckkreuz.

The star of the order, awarded with the Grand Cross only, was a gold-rimmed silver eight-pointed star featuring the ringed medallion of the obverse of the cross.

Is that a possibility?

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

3 hours ago, Alex K said:

(...) the cross you posted appears to be a cloth type for sewing to the uniform

As with literally almost every Grand Cross grade of the German states' orders, the "Grand Cross" consisted of a badge/cross to be worn on the sash, and a breast star. The star shown by Taz is an odd, privately made star with a fancy fantasy design. May have been a wearer's copy, or may have not been. The Steinam made breast star - picture from the OMSA site, I think? - is an official award type from late 19th century.

Stuttgart auction house Eppli sold a marvelous Grand Cross ensemble, awarded in 1908 to Württemberg General der Infanterie z. D. Friedrich Wilhelm Ernst Julius Freiherr Pergler von Perglas (1827-1913), in their March 2017 auction. Check here for pictures and details of this incredible set.

:whistle:

Edited by saschaw

46 minutes ago, saschaw said:

As with literally almost every Grand Cross grade of the German states' orders, the "Grand Cross" consisted of a badge/cross to be worn on the sash, and a breast star. The star shown by Taz is an odd, privately made star with a fancy fantasy design. May have been a wearer's copy, or may have not been. The Steinam made breast star - picture from the OMSA site, I think? - is an official award type from late 19th century.

Stuttgart auction house Eppli sold a marvelous Grand Cross ensemble, awarded in 1908 to Württemberg General der Infanterie z. D. Friedrich Wilhelm Ernst Julius Freiherr Pergler von Perglas (1827-1913), in their March 2017 auction. Check here for pictures and details of this incredible set.

:whistle:

Hi, yes  the one I posted is from the omsa site, it looked "official", the link is just what I was looking for, an amazing and rare set, thanks, with regards to the sash badge I've read that at around the begining of ww1 that the crown itself was dropped from all grades, I assume the GK was the same, perhaps I'm wrong, or pre-war awards kept the crown, after that awards were made minus the crown, taz, thanks for your additional input also, best regards, alex

Edited by Alex K

What might also be important to note: Grand Cross badges and Commander crosses are of identical size for this order, and indistinguishable from each other, unless they come with either solid provenience or the breast star, as the latter was worn by Grand Crosses only (see Klein and Raff, p. 454/455).

Also interesting: the Grand Cross badge was, as previously noted by Taz, worn on the neck as well. It wasn't until the September 1914 statutes changed that it got a sash, as it's usual for Grand Crosses grades (Klein and Raff, p. 460). I was totally unaware of that fact. I'm sorry for my misleading information in my earlier statement.

• 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...

Just have seen another one: 

"Karl von Knoerzer, General der Infanterie, Kommandeur der 26. Division von 1881-1885
    (1884?, siehe Rückseite), stehend in Uniform des Grenadier-Regimentes Nr. 119 (Königin
    Olga), Orden und Degen / 1897"

Landesarchiv_Baden-Wuerttemberg_Hauptstaatsarchiv_Stuttgart_M_703_R194N17_Bild_1_(1-114584-1).thumb.jpg.e164534c954bd47c8783dd71de4a675b.jpg

Equaly interesting, his beautiful Degen

On 05/12/2019 at 16:56, Utgardloki said:

Wilhelm von Württemberg wearing the grand cross in the fashion before 1914.

A nice photo as well, thanks for showing! Noteworthy, he's wearing a knight's cross of the same order as well, possibly as a "small decoration"!

:wacky:

Edited by saschaw