News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alfons Friedrich von Mensdorff-Pouilly

Hello All,

This is the portrait of count Alfons Friedrich von Mensdorff-Pouilly in the uniform of a Hungarian cavalry colonel. I am interested in your opinions about the sash and the upper star. What can they be from? I have some theory but I do not want to impose my view. I will owe a lot for assistance.

Regards,

Lukasz

Alfons Friedrich von Mensdorff-Pouilly.jpg

2 hours ago, Alex K said:

Hi, guessing, not too dissimilar to the Portuguese order of Christ, regards

Give the gentleman a cigar :)

2019-09-07_17-56-19.thumb.jpg.08af45e3342ca0261131fe35fa213562.jpg

If you click on the link below and right click the small image of the portrait above that appears there, then select 'Open image in a new tab' (in Google Chrome; other browsers may differ) you will be presented with a very large version - too large to post here, I think.

http://www.zamekboskovice.cz/rod-mensdorff-pouilly

Incidentally, has anyone any thoughts as to the star below the one in question?

Edited by Trooper_D
    Forgot to enter link

1 hour ago, Alex K said:

saxe-ernerstine house order grand cross, (Saxony)

Several of the Thuringian states rather than the Kingdom of Saxony. I don't know the exact reason why three different dukedomes in the middle of Germany would choose to award the same decorations, but I think it has something to do with economic power.

5 hours ago, Trooper_D said:

Give the gentleman a cigar :)

2019-09-07_17-56-19.thumb.jpg.08af45e3342ca0261131fe35fa213562.jpg

If you click on the link below and right click the small image of the portrait above that appears there, then select 'Open image in a new tab' (in Google Chrome; other browsers may differ) you will be presented with a very large version - too large to post here, I think.

http://www.zamekboskovice.cz/rod-mensdorff-pouilly

Incidentally, has anyone any thoughts as to the star below the one in question?

A perfect shot Trooper_D! Please do accept another cigar from me, too :thumbup:

I also thought of the Order of Christ, but the cross on the star looked a bit too different to me. I was also not sure if at that time (my portrait was dated to 1865) the eight-pointed star was already in use. It seems that the painting at the Boskovice palace was exactly that from which my miniature was made.

Yes, the other star is of the Order of the House of Saxe-Ernestine (from which Albert, Prince-Consort of Queen Victoria also , originated). To make the things entirely clear, the neck decoration is the Commander Cross of the Austrian Order of Leopold - but I think it is obvious to everybody here.

The funniest thing is that a few years ago I myself had the opportunity to visit the palace in Boskovice (which is located north of the City of Brno in the Czech Republic), but I completely do not remember if the portrait was there or not. Anyway, I would be delighted to learn who the painter was. I could not find it anywhere on their site.

Trooper_D, Alex and laurentius, thanks once again for your assistance.

Regards,

Lukasz