News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Strange star of Ethiopia - help

Stefi88

i was curious bcause i know Bertnand made them as well, i've seen both Bertnand and Mappin pieces but never with this suspension, also i have not seen a fake before so i do not think it is a fake, but for instance i will attach a picture of a mappin and webb piece, it looks different...

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Hi,

This is indeed a curious one. If it is not a Mapin and Webb, and it is definitely not an Arthus Bertrand or a Sedavjan, which one is it then? Maybe we should look into a Italian manufacturer?

Cheers

Cyril

this is why i posted it here, i would really be surprised to hear it is a fake, as no other has surfaced, if it is mappin and webb, maybe a first type? and i wouldn't think Italians would be making it due to the occupation... maybe a replaced suspension? although i have not seen a suspension like this, i have little literature on Ethiopian medals, any book you would recommend Cyril?

best regards,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I have checked all former auction catalogs, and could not find a similar one. I know many Ethiopian medals have been made by Spink & Co during the Exile years 1936-1941 of the emperor, maybe a limited production or a proof example of Spink manufacturing? I am out of suggestions here, and unfortunately I do not know any book with these details on Ethiopian orders.

Cheers

Cyril

• 1 month later...

I'm pleased to see the conversation.  I just checked the 7 Imperial Ethiopian Order of Chivalry neck badges in my Archive collection and the 4 or so for sale, and none of them have that double beaded ring.  I have seen one like it before, but I don't recall where.  Even the one I was generously awarded has the single line down the center of the ring.  My email, if anyone ever wants to ask anything, is RasTafariLives@gmail.com

Some Portuguese makers [e.g. Da Costa] use relatively thin metal, each side indented punched or engraved line cravat loops.  Stefi8's example one might have a Portuguese type replacement.  Jah Jim, do you recall whether Worth or Da Costa made more than samples of Ethiopian awards?   The Michael of the Wing commander image below gives an idea of what these type suspensions look like though it's too small to give an accurate, true impression.

27996311_Michaelwing.jpg.5498f08105ba40a903eee9d5ec50c413.jpg  

• 1 year later...