News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photo help needed medals bavaria officer ca. 1890

Hallo everyone!

Although I knew this forum for quite some time I somehow never had anything special - or difficult enough to post it here asking for help.

Well, now it has happened - I got this nice little picture, taken in Amberg / Bavaria, presumably before 1897 (no Zentenarmedaille). I would guess that, as far I can see by the Epauletten combined with the place, that this is a Hauptmann in the 6th bayarian infantry regiment. But honestly I am not sure about his decorations. I Guess it is, from left to right:

- Militärverdienstorden Knights cross (?)

- Orden vom Zähringer Löwen Knights cross (?)

- Prussia red eagle (???)

- Unknown

- Bavaria Dienstauszeichnungskreuz 2. Klasse for 24 years

Well, before I continue researching this man, any help on his decorations is appreciated!

Regards

20191125_115001a.jpg

4 hours ago, ixhs said:

#1 Bavarian MMCr

#2 Baden Order of Zähringer Lion knight 1 with oaks

#3 Prussia Red eagle order 4th class or 3rd

#4 Württemberg Friedrichsorder knight 1

# 5 Bavarian LSC 24 years

Dear ixhs

thank you very much - really appreciated! Now see what I can find out, might some time but I will tell here.

All the best

ArHo,

Hauptmann Thomas Birzer of 6. Infanterie-Regiment in 1902. He received all these orders prior to his 15 October promotion to Major but after the publication of the 1901 Militär-Handbuch when he still only had the DA (LSC 24). He is shown in the 1903 MHB as a Major in 17. Infanterie-Regiment with all these orders.

Regards

Glenn,

Hello!

1913 Major z.D. as Bezirksoffizier in Landwehr-Bezirk Regensburg.

Major patent 15.10.02.

MHB 1913 mentions also the Jubiläumsmedaille.

The Ehrenrangliste lists him in the same duty as 1913, but he became Oberstleutnant a.D. during the war or after armistice.

Edited by The Prussian

Morning,

Born 30 August 1858 at Sulzbach.

DA2: 30.09.01
    BMV4b: 05.03.02
    RAO4: 17.06.02
    WF4: 17.06.02
    BZ5E: 17.06.02
    JM: 12.3.05
    BMV4a: 14.12.05
    KLK: 07.01.16
    EK2: 04.09.16

25.01.15: char. Oberstleutnant

Following mobilisation he was appointed as the commander of the replacement battalion of 11. Infanterie-Regiment.

The awards date the photo therefore between the rash of awards on 17 June 1902 and his promotion to Major on 15 October 1902. Incidentally as a Bavarian non-veteran of the Franco-German War, he was not automatically entitled to the award of the Prussian centenary medal of 1897.

Regards

Glenn 

Wow,

Glenn, Prussian: Thank you very much! That really made my day!

Though I enjoy researching a bit myself I have some problems with later-empire bavarian officers as in Hannover I cannot access the Militär-Handbücher of the time (and they are not online, yet).

This picture comes from an impressive Album - kept as whole - of a bavarian officer who served 1866 and 1870-71 and got some pictures (not too many - ca. 10) from his friends ca. 1890-1900. I am not sure about some of them but if you all enjoy it, I would post the best few of them in the time to come. Perhaps we can ID one or two more...?

Regards

ArHo

3 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Morning,

Born 30 August 1858 at Sulzbach.

DA2: 30.09.01
    BMV4b: 05.03.02
    RAO4: 17.06.02
    WF4: 17.06.02
    BZ5E: 17.06.02
    JM: 12.3.05
    BMV4a: 14.12.05
    KLK: 07.01.16
    EK2: 04.09.16

25.01.15: char. Oberstleutnant

Following mobilisation he was appointed as the commander of the replacement battalion of 11. Infanterie-Regiment.

The awards date the photo therefore between the rash of awards on 17 June 1902 and his promotion to Major on 15 October 1902. Incidentally as a Bavarian non-veteran of the Franco-German War, he was not automatically entitled to the award of the Prussian centenary medal of 1897.

Regards

Glenn 

Glenn,

that is really interesting - so I was wrong about the date because I "read" the medals wrong - I will have to learn more about Bavaria... Thanks for this piece of knowledge about the Zentenarmedaille!

Best
    ArHo

Edited by ArHo