News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unidentified badge with Panther in silver, collar badge ?

• WRANGEL changed the title to Unidentified badge with Panther in silver, collar badge ?

Wrangel, Certainly the Kudu was the heraldic animal of british Somaliland ,between 1950 and 1960 figured in the coat of arms of Somaliland the head of a kudu with a royal crown over it. but the panther figured in the coat of arms of the Italian Somaliland and in that of the Republic of Somalia .

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Thanks to both of you for your research. I think this silver badge is quite old (1930-50 ?).There is also the possibility that the badge do not refere to  Africa but perhaps Asia as there are panthers in Asia as well.

Cheers

Bill

16 hours ago, WRANGEL said:

I think this silver badge is quite old (1930-50 ?).There is also the possibility that the badge do not refere to  Africa but perhaps Asia as there are panthers in Asia as well.

Cheers

Bill

Bill

My North American culture interfering here!  I read 'panther' and immediately thought of the non-spotted North and South American cat - also known as 'painter', mountain lion and jaguar.  This animal clearly has spots, so perhaps a search using the term 'leopard' might turn out more clues.  Just a thought.

Hello Peter, The non spotted great cat named here in Argentina ,Puma is one beast, the Jaguar also existing here is a spotted beast bigger than the Puma and the Panther . Its a Symbol of many  cultures in Central and South America . the badge could be Brazilian or Mexican , for example 

• 1 year later...
    • 11 months later...