News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vietnam Service Medal with ribbon elblems.

Duncan

Does anyone have any pics of the US Vietnam Service Medal with ribbon elblems, particularly camping stars and arrow head combinations. I can't find any on google, so I assume they're a rare combination? 

Thanks, Duncan. 

According to Foster and Borts "US military medals 1939 to present" the Bronze arrowhead denotes participation in parachute, glider or amphibious landing or assault and was awarded only to the Army. I don't have any Vietnam service medals with a Arrowhead but do have a ribbon made by NS Meyer with Arrowhead and Bronze Star.

PB040071.JPG

Thanks everyone, that's really interesting. Seems the arrow head on the Vietnam Medal is quite rare after all. 

Is that an oak leaf on the National Defence Medal in the picture? What would that be for? Thought that medal only had campaign stars? 

Edited by Duncan

7 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

Here is a decoration group to an old colleague of mine with eight campaign stars on his Vietnam Service Medal:

15639357_Mataxisordenskisse.jpg.1b94b955accb90c9e8808ebeb6f9cf6e.jpg

Wow! What a chest full of heavy metal. Your colleague friend is a national treasure and we are all in his debt. 
    (sorry to change the subject, but seriously, Wow!).

Mike

BG Ted Mataxis. He was an infantry battalion commander in World War II, regimental commander in Korea and assistant and acting division commander in Vietnam. Not pictured was the award he called his "perfect attendance award", the Combat Infantryman's Badge with two stars. He also had close ties to South and Central Asia due to service as an observer on the India-Pakistan border and as a military advisor in Iran. We worked together in the late 1980s and 1990s on Afghan-related matters. He also wrote one of my OCS and one of my law school recommendations.

His career path can be read here: https://www.soc.mil/ARSOF_History/articles/v11n1_eiche_mataxis.html

Reagrding the NDSM, that was a common period error. Campaign stars were supposed to be worn, but OLCs are sometimes seen, and people are less likely to correct a general officer.