News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Eduard Uhlenhuth in a Bulgarian Uniform?

On the portrait is to be seen the famous German court photographer Eduard Uhlenhuth from Coburg. As we can expect, there are some more portraits of him to be known. Fortunately his medalbar is still existing too.

It was supposed, that the uniform Uhlenhuth is wearing on the picture discussed, is a Bulgarian one. But this seems to be quite odd for a German citizen. As to be seen on the photograph with the group of persons in the forrest, on the other hand Uhlenhuth (3rd from left) was pretty familiar with the Bulgarian king Ferdinand (2nd form left), who spent his evening of life in Coburg.

Can someone tell me, what kind of uniform of what rank is Uhlenhut wearing?

If it is a Bulgarian one, what could be the reason for it?

Thanks in advance and regards,

Komtur.

Uhlenhut, Eduard ca. 1916.jpg

Uhlenhut Portraits im Vergleich.jpg

Ordensschnalle Uhlenhut Echtfarben.jpg

Eduard Uhlenhut mit Ferdinand von Bulgarien.jpg

Ferdinand von Bulgarien.jpg

Vergleich Ordensschnalle heute und ca. 1916.jpg

Edited by Komtur

Hi komtur,

he had spent a year at the court of  the Czar and was promoted an officer there.

Source: Wolfgang Brückner (Hrsg.) Historische Fotografie in Unterfranken. Würzburg 1989, p. 169.

The Czar was son of the General August von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (1818–1881) und Clémentine von Orléans (1817–1907), so he was "familiar" with Coburg.

Uhlenhuth took the photos of the Czar´s 2nd wedding.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

... he had spent a year at the court of  the Czar an was promoted an officer there.

Source: Wolfgang Brückner (Hrsg.) Historische Fotografie in Unterfranken. Würzburg 1989, p. 169.

The Czar was son of the General August von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (1818–1881) und Clémentine von Orléans (1817–1907), so he was "familiar" with Coburg.

Uhlenhuth took the photos of the Czar´s 2nd wedding. ...

Thanks a lot! These are interesting news.

I was aware of the Coburg origin of Ferdinand, called nasa magna by the Kaiser. I just finished reading a biographie of him.

There is another connection of Czar Ferdinand to a medal group I own. To this group belongs a 2nd class of the Bulgarian Order of Civil Merit. The decoration was given to Dr. Carl Paira, who was director of the hospital Lahmannsches Sanatorium near Dresden, where the second wife of Ferdinand Eleonore, born princess of Reuß zu Köstritz, stayed some weeks before she died.

Paira, Karl Bulgarien Zivilverdienstorden im Etui.JPG

Paira, Karl Schnalle a.JPG

Paira, Karl.jpg

Lahmannsches Sanatorium.jpg

Zar Ferdinand von Bulgarien und dessen Ehefrau Eleonore, geb. Prinzessin Reuß zu Köstritz.jpg

Schreiben an Paira von Flügeladjutant des Zaren Ferdinand Oberst Nicolas Kurtokliew 1.jpg

Schreiben an Paira von Flügeladjutant des Zaren Ferdinand Oberst Nicolas Kurtokliew 2.jpg

Great stuff!

Unfortunately the photo-studio, which was active right up to the 2000s went bust twice after that. I wonder what happened to the photographic archive; must have been fantastic.

Best,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 years later...