News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Knowledgeable Colleagues.

I have been pondering these two problems for a long while. 

1. Are all Kingdom of  Württemberg I OD89 engraved with the royal cipher of King Karl I? Did it eventually change in the C20th? 

2. Is a old German Gothic inscription challenge. I can not find a German word that starts with these four letters in either archaic German dictionaries or a more modern dictionary. Part of the translation is reasonably easy (yes that's a bold statement). 'Ginj. Freiw.D.Nebelung' = Ginj. Free Volunteers of Nebelung (Forest?)  If you are able to help, whta does the abbreviated term Ginj. stand for? 

I look forward with some hope to your responses.

Thanks,

George

2122262702_RoyalCipherQuestion.JPG.4fa674a5038eeab90a0de78cda69fe1d.JPG      1798515213_GermanGothicInscription.JPG.db884d2799e1a4be61810607cc13e69a.JPG

Einjahriger Freiwilliger D Nebelung . King William II ascended to the Throne in 1891 the change of the Cypher must had follow the enthronement of the King but its not impossible that a good batch of Offiziers Degen M 89 continued to be supplied by the Manufacturers with the old cypher . 

Hello again , I have just found in Militarische Antiquetaet Emig , site a 1889 OD offered for sale .they says Weyersberg and Co ,1915  Kammerstuck . and enlarging one pic you can see the monogramm or Cypher of King Karl 

Thanks, that's what I thought. Both things could be true - a large number of a new style IOD89 made under King Karl and not enough sold to replace the monogram AND simply leaving the it that way.  If you place a monogram on your weapons, why would it not reflect the current monarch?