News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question about medals

David M

Hi

I found this on the net, cannot read the entire book. But I am curious about this guys career and his medals.

We are not related but shar the same last name. Hence the intererest.

Screenshot_20200520-201516_Samsung Internet.jpg

Linienschiffskapitän Artur Müldner was an Austrian/Austro-Hungarian naval officer. He is listed as a See-Cadet in the 1863 Militär-Schematismus, so I assume he was born sometime in the mid-1840s.

The decorations listed are:

• Order of the Iron Crown, 3rd Class (1893)
    • Military Merit Medal
    • War Medal
    • Commemorative Medal for the 1864 Campaign against Denmark
    • 1898 Jubilee Medal for the Armed Forces
    • Military Service Decoration for Officers, 3rd Class

He disappears from the Austro-Hungarian Court and State Handbook and the Schematismus for the Army and Navy between the 1906 and 1907 editions of each of those reference books, so I would assume he died then.

I wonder what "Krakau" by Artur Müldner's name can mean (assuming he was that captain). As far as I know there is no any particular sea in Cracow. Perhaps it was the current living place of the person. Admiral Juliusz Ripper (died in 1914 just a few weeks before the outbreak of WWI) also lived in Cracow upon retirement.

I think so 2. A-H did  ot have a particularly extended seaborder compares to its size. There are several M. Families from the Silesia area, so Krakau sounds not to far fetched

16 hours ago, Lukasz Gaszewski said:

I wonder what "Krakau" by Artur Müldner's name can mean (assuming he was that captain). As far as I know there is no any particular sea in Cracow. Perhaps it was the current living place of the person. Admiral Juliusz Ripper (died in 1914 just a few weeks before the outbreak of WWI) also lived in Cracow upon retirement.

I am not sure what Krakau in this case means but there were few ships operating in Krakow and Pulawy, on the Vistula river. It was Vistula Flotilla and their assignment was to relive military transport on the railways.