News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DENMARK COMMEMORATIVE MEDALS OF THE REIGN OF QUEEN MARGRETHE II

Hello Gentlemen,

When I was in Copenhagen in late June 2018, I had the unique opportunity to take photographies of a Royal Household Group of Medal, said to belong to one of the main Secretary of her Majesty Queen Margrethe II.

To have the opportunity to see these medals with my own eyes, I understood it was a "life-opportunity". I asked if I could take photo, and as I was replied : "Yes", I did.

To get better photo, I took them 2 by 2.

From left to right

Queen Margrethe II & Prince Hendrik Golden Wedding Jubilee Medal 1967-2017 (blue ribbon with 1 tiny golden stripe in the middle).

Queen Margrethe II 75th Anniversary Medal 2015 (with a ribbon of the Order of the Danneborg and a M cypher on ribbon).

Queen Margrethe II 40th Anniversary Jubilee of Reign 1972-2012 (bleu ribbon and a M cypher on ribbon).

Queen Margrethe II 70th Anniversary Medal 2010 ( with plain bleu ribbon).

Prince Hendrik 75th Anniversary Medal 2009 ( with plain bleu ribbon & H cypher on ribbon ).

It is interesting to point that the shade of blue of many of these Royal Commemoratives Medal correspond to the Order of the Elephant blue ribbon.

Denmark Home Guard Good Service Medal

And the last one, which was awaited to be "mounted" with the others : Prince Hendrik Funeral Commemorative Medal 13-2-2018

I will post the reverse of the medals on the next post.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Denmark Group to Secretary of Queen obverse 1.jpeg

Denmark Group to Secretary of Queen obverse 2.jpeg

Denmark Group to Secretary of Queen obverse 3.jpeg

Denmark Group to Secretary of Queen obverse 4.jpeg

Edited by heusy68

And their reverse, respectively

Queen Margrethe II & Prince Hendrik Golden Wedding Jubilee Medal 1967-2017

Queen Margrethe II 75th Anniversary Medal 2015

Queen Margrethe II 40th Anniversary Jubilee of Reign 1972-2012

Queen Margrethe II 70th Anniversary Medal 2010

Prince Hendrik 75th Anniversary Medal 2009

Denmark Home Guard Good Service Medal

And the last one, which is awaited to be "mounted" with the others : Prince Hendrik Funeral Commemorative Medal 13-2-2018

Such an amazing Royal Household Group will likely never to be offered for sale. So it's a unique opportunity to see such medals in a group. With good quality photo.

All medals are silver, or silver-gilt (for the Golden Wedding Jubilee Medal 1967-2017).

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Denmark Group to Secretary of Queen reverse 1.jpeg

Denmark Group to Secretary of Queen reverse 2.jpeg

Denmark Group to Secretary of Queen reverse 3.jpeg

Denmark Group to Secretary of Queen reverse 4.jpeg

Edited by heusy68

I choose to add some more Royal Commemorative Medal from the reign of Queen Margrethe II, that do not belong to the Group shown above.

Here is Queen Ingrid Memorial Medal which commemorate the Passing of Queen Ingrid : 7-11-2000

Princess Ingrid was born 28 March 1910, as the daughter of the future King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden ( King of Sweden 1950-1973 ). In 1935 she travelled to Denmark to marry Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark ( the future King Fredrick IX 1947-1972 ).

Queen Ingrid died on 7 November 2000, and her Funeral took place on 14 November 2000, were attended by many european royalties.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Denmark Queen Ingrid Memorial Medal 2001 obverse.jpg

Denmark Queen Ingrid Memorial Medal 2001 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the King Frederik IX Centenary Medal : 1899-1999

The medal bar is hallmarked on reverse.

King Frederik IX was King of Denmark from 1947 to 1972, and was succeeded by his daughter Queen Margrethe II

King Frederik IX was the husband of Queen Ingrid.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Denmark Frederik IX Centenary Medal 1999 obverse.jpg

Denmark Frederik IX Centenary Medal 1999 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

Here is the Queen Margrethe II Silver Jubilee Medal 1972-1997.

The "Elephant Order Blue ribbon" is embroidered with crown.

This medal is well known, but good quality color photo are not that easy to get.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Denmark Queen Margareth II Silver Jubilee Medal 1997 obverse.jpg

Denmark Queen Margareth II Silver Jubilee Medal 1997 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

I have to include this medal on the list, despite I never had the occasion to see one with my own eyes.

This is the Queen Margrethe II & Prince Hendrik Silver Jubilee Wedding Commemorative Medal 1967-1992

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark is wearing this medal on his medal bar (first row, at extreme right).

If any one has a good close up color photo of this medal, he is most welcome to post it here.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Denmark Queen Margareth Silver Wedding Medal 1992 obverse.jpg

Denmark Queen Margareth Silver Wedding Medal 1992 reverse.jpg

Denmark Medal Bar of Prince Frederik.jpg

Edited by heusy68

The last medal of this series is

Queen Ingrid 50th Anniversary of her Arrival in Denmark.

After her wedding with Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, in Stockholm, on 24 May 1935; the newly wed couple travelled to Copenhagen on the danish royal yacht Dannebrog, where they arrived on 26 May 1935.

Queen Ingrid was very much loved by the danish people, and by her family. She was a woman with extraordinary willpower, judgement, flair and discipline.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Denmark Queen Ingrid 50th Anniversary Arrival in Denmark 1985 obverse.jpg

Denmark Queen Ingrid 50th Anniversary Arrival in Denmark 1985 reverse.jpg

Edited by heusy68

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...

Fascinating collection, thank you all for sharing.

It's interesting how different Royal Families choose to issue medals. In the UK, it's only for events connected with the reign (Coronations and selected Jubilees), but with massive issue of those medals that they have. Some Scandinavians sitick to personal milestones (birthdays and weddings in the main, also some deaths).

The Danes have the best of both worlds, whatever's going on in the Royal Family there's a medal for it, which they keep affordable by only awarding a few of each one.

• 1 month later...
    On 01/06/2020 at 18:53, heusy68 said:

I have to include this medal on the list, despite I never had the occasion to see one with my own eyes.

This is the Queen Margrethe II & Prince Hendrik Silver Jubilee Wedding Commemorative Medal 1967-1992

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark is wearing this medal on his medal bar (first row, at extreme right).

If any one has a good close up color photo of this medal, he is most welcome to post it here.

Regards to all.

Emmanuel

Denmark Queen Margareth Silver Wedding Medal 1992 obverse.jpg

Denmark Queen Margareth Silver Wedding Medal 1992 reverse.jpg

Denmark Medal Bar of Prince Frederik.jpg

Great display Thank you