News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Recon and fighter pilot group

Guest Rick Research

Lucky indeed for a ground attack pilot to have been pulled out of the line in mid 1943! He would have been doomed, otherwise! :speechless1:

I wish we could all contribute to a "Buy Podolsk A CVS-Style 'Photo While You Wait' Photograph Duplicating Machine Fund" ... so much of character and experience is revealed in a FACE that it is a shame all we can get are blurry dark copies. :(

12 1/2 years as a Major!!!!! And yet he made it through-- for a couple of years, anyway-- Khruschev's giant February 1960 budget reduction of the armed forces!

I was VERY interested to see that his OEB "2" was a 30 December 1956 long service Ukaz award:

1) I have an ORB "2" 906 numbers lower that must have come from, as I now see, :beer: this same batch, but which came back many years ago as "research not possible" (navy? KGB? MVD?) and

2) the years of service don't seem to add up--

if he joined 1 January 1939, how did he have 20 years in by the end of December 1956?

Did you get research back on that one?

I have often found VERY odd counting towards these long service awards in groups-- but usually with unexplained DELAYS, not EARLY awards!!!

This is a TERRIFIC group. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

2) the years of service don't seem to add up--

if he joined 1 January 1939, how did he have 20 years in by the end of December 1956?

This is a TERRIFIC group. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Since he was born in 1918, it could be he did his compulsory service time 1936-1938 time period and then went for officerhood. This enlisted time may not have been reflected in his officer record and account for the 20 years by 1956.

Good evening, gentlemen.

Thanks for your remarks about Kravtsov's long-service Red Banner. It is interesting that some differences are visible even from citations. On both citations, that I posted before, it says that he joined Red Army in 1938. But in his record card (on the very top) it says that he joined on January 1, 1939. If we count from 1938, then his first long-service MM medal was given exactly at right time - after 10 years. But the next one - Red Star - is already one year ahead the schedule. And third award - RB - is one year ahead of Red Star and two years ahead normal schedule.

Unfortunately, at the moment I do not have any additional papers about that group. My friends who did this research send me the those few images by email. All actual papers I asked them to send at my mother's address in Kiev, Ukraine. I'll be there in June and pick them up. Maybe additional infomation from those papers would help to find the truth. But I beleive that is all because of total mess in military paperwork. I've seen similar situations before.

Anyway, here are the final images - his triplet for long service.

Those are great scans. May I ask how you are doing the reverses so clearly of the Red Stars? Thanks, Rick

Well, it's mostly a question of a scanner quality. Some scanners doing amazing images of flat objects, but they unable to penetrate deeper. If the distance between scanner surface and object surface is more than 3 - 4 mm, then object surface is out of focus. Currently I'm using Epson Perfection 3590 Photo Scanner. I would not say it is excellent, but it is OK. I would give it 8 out of 10 in rating. When I lived in Kiev I used to have HP scanner that was best scaner for screwback orders ever. Even though its highest available resolution was only 1200 dpi (my present one can give 3400 dpi), the reverses even of early screwback GPW 2nd class (with unusually long screwposts) were pretty sharp and clear. When I came to US 3,5 years ago I tried to buy same model but it was out of the market already. I found only parts and repair kits :D

I tried several models including Lexmark, HP and finally stoped with Epson.

My twin uses the Epson as well, but a different model. I have the HP, but it's an "All in One" as I need FAX/copy from my home as well as scanning. Not real happy with scans, but I am trying to "tweak" it a bit. A superb and wonderful group. One to be treasured for sure!

There is only one minor problem with Epson scanners. Most of the models (including my one) give original pictures that somewhat darker than usual. But it's not a problem if you have Photoshop :D

I really appreciate that Gerd Becker recommended me to visit this Club. This is a wonderful place and it's a real pleasure for me to be there.

I have some more researched groups in my collection. If somebody interested, I can share them with others.

Guest Rick Research

"There is only one minor problem with Epson scanners. Most of the models (including my one) give original pictures that somewhat darker than usual. But it's not a problem if you have Photoshop "

I have to agree. My Epson 2400 series (and I just crossed 4,000 scans on it, now developing a defective light "stripe" up one side as the poor thing wears out, I guess) has particular problems with SHINY silver or gold and with light blue. I can't get an accurate "robin's egg blue" for any amount of trying.

"I really appreciate that Gerd Becker recommended me to visit this Club. This is a wonderful place and it's a real pleasure for me to be there."

:beer:

"I have some more researched groups in my collection. If somebody interested, I can share them with others."

:jumping::cheers::jumping::cheers::jumping:

I like life stories and serial numbers with award dates. Faces are also good.

There is only one minor problem with Epson scanners. Most of the models (including my one) give original pictures that somewhat darker than usual. But it's not a problem if you have Photoshop :D

I really appreciate that Gerd Becker recommended me to visit this Club. This is a wonderful place and it's a real pleasure for me to be there.

I have some more researched groups in my collection. If somebody interested, I can share them with others.

Andrew, i though, you might like it here and i am glad, you indeed enjoy this forum. And now with you there is finally someone, who i can talk Red Banner Variations and Subvariations with :beer::lol:

I am most interested to see more of your awards :cheers:

• 2 months later...

Finally I've got the last citation for this group - for GPW 2nd class. Here it is...

Name: Kravtsov Dmitrij Afanasyevich

Military Rank: Captain.

Position: squadron commander, 14th Fighter Air Regiment, 296 Fighter Air Division, 10 Air Army, Far Eastern Front.

Born: 1918, Zelenkovichi village, Mogilev Region

Nationality: Belorus

Party membership: Communist Party member since 1943

Participation in war: in Great Patriotic War since June 22, 1941 until July 1943

Wounds or contusions: none

In Red Army: since January 5, 1939

In the rank of officer: since November 19, 1940

Short description of merits:

During the war with Japan comrade Kravtsov displayed himself as a brave fighter pilot and skillful commander of his squadron. The planes of his unit tactically very well organized in every air mission. He personally performed 8 operational sorties (2 of them for air reconnaissance, 2 for ground attacks and 4 for supporting our ground troops). During ground attacks he personally destroyed 2 trucks with ammunition and up to 25 enemy soldiers. His squadron performed 71 successful military sorties in which it destroyed 11 trucks with troops and ammunition, 1 locomotive, some train cars and up to 150 enemy soldiers. All those results were proved by our infantry units and aerial photography.

He deserves state award - Order of Patriotic War 1st class.

Commander of 14th Fighter Air Regiment Major Medved.

Hi Gerd,

He was a fighter pilot, so he didn't fly IL-2. IL-2 is a ground-attack plane. While serving in 172 Fighter Regiment Kravtsov was flying Yak-1 (take a look at the picture.) But what did he fly during the war with Japan I don't know. Could be Yak-9, Yak-3, La-5 or La-7.