News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1919 Naval Cross.

Sorry but have never seen one of these before.....   Do not think it is official being made by a private company and not the Royal Mint.....    Could be a school or academy award medal of some type.....

Mike

Hi Alex......

No I don't think for any of the major colonies as they had their own mints but still most of the medals were made for them were made in England.....  Right now the Royal Canadian Mint has contracts with and makes items (coins, medals  and medallions) for 74 different countries including the United States and China.....   Another thing that is against it from being an official issue is even though there is a Crown on it there is no Royal Cypher or Figure......

Mike

'V & S' is Vaughton and Sons, who made silver items from 1888 to 1992.  The image below is from this site: https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Birmingham-V.html

The 'Seen on' - column 3 - suggest a sports group or society, perhaps of sailors or something of the sort.  Almost certainly not military, given the points raised above.

Capture.JPG

On 16/11/2020 at 15:16, QSAMIKE said:

Sorry but have never seen one of these before.....   Do not think it is official being made by a private company and not the Royal Mint.....    Could be a school or academy award medal of some type.....

Mike

Not all "official" medals manufactured in the UK for HM Government are manufactured by the Royal Mint.

Dave.

1 hour ago, peter monahan said:

'V & S' is Vaughton and Sons, who made silver items from 1888 to 1992.  The image below is from this site: https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Birmingham-V.html

The 'Seen on' - column 3 - suggest a sports group or society, perhaps of sailors or something of the sort.  Almost certainly not military, given the points raised above.

Capture.JPG

Vaughton & Sons are still in existence and still manufacture silver items including insignia and medals. They did not cease in 1992 as your posting suggests.

Dave.

21 hours ago, Dave Wilkinson said:

Vaughton & Sons are still in existence and still manufacture silver items including insignia and medals. They did not cease in 1992 as your posting suggests.

Dave.

I'm sure you're right.  I just used the information on the hallmarks web site and I suspect what I should have said was 'this hallmark ceased to be used in 1992'. My apologies. :)

Peter