News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chinese (naval) cap tally?

Gensui

Now with this transcription I can see the kanji, thanks a lot mate! 

Maybe some Chinese sailors under German command? Such as Hilfsseeleute (compare to the Chinese Leasehold Police under German command)? 

I know this tally from a picture, but can‘t find it...

BR, Chris

43 minutes ago, Gensui said:

Maybe some Chinese sailors under German command? Such as Hilfsseeleute (compare to the Chinese Leasehold Police under German command)? 

If he was under German command then why tally is in chinese? 

And this handwriting is simply terrible ...  

Me and my friend from SMS Gneisenau are having doubts.

5.jpg.16c3afa96f4fd4e61d2f1c462cad0fbf.jpg

2.jpg.e3785317b555d5e49d25ba90cc078a20.jpg

Maybe for the locals? Or maybe a Chinese ship, serving for the German Gouvernment?

I agree with you, the writting looks terrible. But by own experience, I would say, this was written by a Chinese (not European, Chinese speaking/writting guy). My Japanese handwritting will be easily identified as "non-Japanese writter".

I found attached picture (courtesy of Chris Dale, http://www.germancolonialuniforms.co.uk/). Looks terrible as well, isn't it?

BR, Chris

Chinese Police Arm badge.jpg

Thanks Nick!

Fortunately, I got in touch with the Great-grandniece of this previous “owner”.

According to her, her Great-granduncle was commanded on board of the SMS Prinzeß Wilhelm in China. Before he returned to Germany, he arranged some sweetheart tallies. His diary mentioned, that he asked his Chinese “Mafu” to “create” this tally. Later back in Germany, he bought a “Reservistenpaddel” (English?) and tied this tally to several others. Unfortunately, the “Paddel” was sold a couple of years ago and the former buyer untied this Chinese written tally.

BR, Chris