News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ek1 1914 opinions

• 2 months later...

Hi Peter Cornwell,

Some of those models are so rare that we need more data or examples of them to be 100% sure.

At the moment i have to agree with the common opinion and the expertise of more advanced collectors

In the world of collecting nothing is not final

See the example of the KO maker for years the collectors were wrong

Anyway this is, in my opinion, the most desirable  model of 1914  EK1

Best

Graf

Hello Graf,

I guess it is in the nature of all collectors that 'the most desirable' item has to be whatever happens to be top of their wish list at the time. But for sure, KMST EK1s with their over-engineered fixings will always have a particular appeal. They do come onto the market fairly frequently (for big money) so I remain hopeful - but I have been surprised by the unusually pristine condition of the latest on offer. Modern restrikes or a fabled cache of unissued stock who knows ?

Alles Besten,

Peter C    

Hi Peter Cornwell,

That is what I have noticed as well, Sometimes 2-3 are offered at the same time by different Dealers after a long period of drought  That is more often with WW2 EK1 ad EK2

I reduced my interests..and also my collection only to rare or relatively  models. That on the other hand creates a bit of competition

Best

Graf

028.JPG

Graf,

Congratulations, you have clearly chosen wisely and well over the years. Classic MEYBAUER screwbacks, KMST 'nutmeg grater', fanged GODET, flawless WERNER, & two AWS pillow-backs. Kudos ! At present, I can match two of them (KMST & L/11 screwback) but remain hopeful of one day adding a fanged cross (preferably 1870) to my own modest collection. Thanks for posting the photo. 

Peter Cornwell,

Thank you for the comments

I had bigger collection, however I decided to clear most common ones

The screw back EK1 is L/12 -Juncker

I wish you luck in your collecting

011.JPG

Me too! So happy hunting to us both. Meantime, I’ve been trying to establish a sequence for the different styles of KMST makers marks but without much success. The vast majority of examples carry the cast letters D.R.G.M and K.M.ST. and this applies to all types of their EK1s. The stamped letters DRGM and KMSt seem to be less common and appear on crosses with the circular plate fixing and also on plain pinbacks with the additional security clip. From this, I suspect that crosses with the cast letters possibly predate those with incised/stamped letters. Unfortunately, the actual DRGM numbers are not included so we have no clue as to even the year that the various designs were first registered. Core patterns seem to be largely consistent across the entire range of types although at least two different cores can be identified by their crowns (see photos). However, one oddity is that KMST screwbacks do not seem to have carried any DRGM letters. So possibly this design was simply not registered by KMST being considered a relatively standard fitting compared to their other more distinctive and complex designs – who knows?

abc Obv (3).jpg

KMST Obv (3).jpg

Hi Peter,

Good work Keep the good job

The same thing apply for other makers like AWS they have very rare stamped marks

I was an owner of one EK1

Few years ago i helped a fellow collector to reunite it with a huge grouping of Pour Le Merite.

Sadly I saw this grouping fro sale by eMedals later onin

Looks like we might be bidders for this rare EK1  I hope one of us we wiin

regards

Graf

170824_2.jpg

170824_3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Oh that is nice ,I have a EK1 maker KO with a system from KMST .

found  the cross wile looking for a restoration project.. 

this AWS system is also very nice.

who ever get it ,, nice addition . 

Edited by hagahr

On 18/10/2021 at 01:11, hagahr said:

Oh that is nice ,I have a EK1 maker KO with a system from KMST .

hello kay, very nice to see you back on here

any chance of starting a thread with that one? it could generate a bit of discussion with the klein und quenzer crowd, etc etc

p.s. what happened to your wonderful EK web page???

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

• 2 weeks later...
    On 20/10/2021 at 03:54, Eric Stahlhut said:

hello kay, very nice to see you back on here

any chance of starting a thread with that one? it could generate a bit of discussion with the klein und quenzer crowd, etc etc

p.s. what happened to your wonderful EK web page???

at the moment a lot of work with my 1914 iron core files so but thanks for the welcome .

and I shut down one web page yes .

I am working on this face book thing these day's 

https://www.facebook.com/1914-german-Medal-restauration-and-preservation-101489365326848

restoring iron crosses and the stupid idea of photo listing all iron cores of the iron cross 1914 .

so not much time sorry .

but maybe yes i drop by some times.

regards kay   

I looked the cross up ..its not the same but the only legit variation of a KO I have in my collection .

someone polished it with rough scratching tools.

I restored it to the old patina it originally would have.

hope you like it  

IMG_8893.JPG

IMG_8894.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

IMG_8896.JPG

IMG_8897 (2).JPG

IMG_8889.JPG

Edited by hagahr

• 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...
    5 hours ago, Peter Cornwell said:

Two Stuttgart EKIs in one hit? That's just greedy. Good luck to you - I'm still looking for one and am very envious.

Actually got them from two separate deals three weeks apart.  Probably only found the second one because I was excited about the first find and was actively researching it and stumbled on the second one without the clasp.