News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

9 hours ago, elbavaro said:

Pictures from the back available?

I don't like the ribbon - looks new to me. The cross itself: well .... it looks like the ,odern copies, but ... not 100% sure.

Agree. Very likely a modern copy. This cross is widely faked. There are very few originals around. Better pictures including of the reverse and close-ups of the cross edge and enamel would confirm this one way or the other.

5 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

Definitely a post-1945 cross. The die-hard Freikorps collectors refer to this item as the Schwarzes Armeekreuz der freiwilligen Deutsch-Russischen Westarmee.  It is an extremely scarce piece and originals rarely come-up for sale.  The originals I've seen have a more substantial frame around the enameling.

Awaloffkrz.jpeg

You're actually confusing the crosses somewhat. The one you're showing here is called Der Abzeichen für Dienstgrade der russische Westarmee (Badge for All Ranks of the Russian Western Army) and was more of a unit service insignia rather than an award. It is sometimes referred to as the Avaloff Cross 3rd class, but in reality was a badge separate from the award crosses. This is the story behind this service grade cross.

By order no. 24 of March 4, 1919, Colonel Fürst Awaloff-Bermondt donated a badge in the form of a Maltese cross for the all military ranks of his volunteer troops. Colonel Potozki commander of Corps Graf Keller provided the draft of the award, which was intended to distinguish the members of his volunteer troops from other Baltic troops. The badge was based on the planned white Maltese cross of General Graf Keller's Russian White Army. However, as a sign of mourning (Count Keller was captured and shot in Kiev on December 20/21, 1918), the color was changed to black.

Here is my example of this service cross.

549365291_DienstgradeRussWestarmee.thumb.jpg.93c4c7b34aea98f5800884cebfe22e0f.jpg

The cross that started the thread is called Der Awaloff-Kreuz der Freiwilligen Westrussischen
    (Deutsch-Russischen) Befreiungsarmee (1919)
    . Kreuz 2. Klasse ohne Schwerter. Here are two examples from the Peter Groch collection that are similar to the copy that started the thread. The one on the left, like the copy is a silvered cross with black enamel. The one on the right is a silvered cross with a black paint finish.

1002006204_Avaloffcross2.thumb.jpg.73ddb52673bb42e29b43ec3b8982a618.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

Thank you for all the great info. I have a further question to ask. On some rare ribbon bars with an Awaloff Kreuz, the award not actually on the medal bar, so is it impossible to determine the class of cross that was awarded based off of the ribbon bar? From what I know, there was a neck, breast and suspended version of the Awaloff Kreuz, did the ribbon on the ribbon bar signify any one of those classes?

Any help is appreciated, 

ThanksAn Unusual First War Group to a German-Russian Westarmy Officer

The ribbon bar likely means 2nd class.

BTW. I have my doubts about that eMedals grouping being anything but cobbled together. The ribbon bar doesn't have a Silesian Eagle on it and you don't often get Freikorps who served both in the Russian Westarmee in the Baltic as the ribbon bar indicates and in Silesia. The Russian George Cross is not typical of the German-made types normally worn by German recipients. I also believe the black enameled Maltese Cross which I assume is supposed to be the "Dienstgrade" badge is even Freikorps. I'd need to see the back.

Edited by bolewts58