News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello, here is my L18 U-Boat badge that appears to have the characteristic sloppiness of this maker BH Mayer I believe. ANy opinions on it? I am new to this site and would like some feedback.

Thanks,

Pat

The back, with some vaulting and tiny L/18 makers mark.

I can accept this as a good one, not sure this is where the mm goes though, I thought it was on the pin? However, this pin clearly could not support a MM.

Possibility that this is a good cast copy. Like to see clear images of the edge of the badge. See some piiting to the top left of the reverse, usually, not a good sign.

Certainly looks like the catch was replaced.

Edited by John Robinson

Thanks for your responses, John. I will put bigger pics up soon. I have seen other originals on other forums with the L/18 on the back of the badge, so I don't think that is a problem. Also a question, how can you tell the difference between a hand casting and a period die-casting? If anybpdy has answers, I'm all ears!

Thanks again,

Pat

I doubt this one also. Is the hinge a seperate piece or part of the badge? Hand cast badges lack the qualitity of a die cast badge because they can't replicate the pressure used in die casting. Usually you will find tiny air pockets on the reverse and poor detailing on the front. Can we see all around views of the hinge please.

thanks

Don

Hello, here is my L18 U-Boat badge that appears to have the characteristic sloppiness of this maker BH Mayer I believe. ANy opinions on it? I am new to this site and would like some feedback.

Thanks,

Pat

Welcome on the GMIC Forum Pat.

Now, I am sorry, but all your badges are very suspicious, some similar characteristics appears on all and don't give a good feeling.

Better pictures are necessary, but the verdict seems to be done...

The story from the dealer was that all the pins were replaced because all the badges were damaged, so yes they all have the same pins, but they weren't original to the badges. The hinge is a separate piece, like most of the badges.

Thanks,

Pat

Guest Darrell

The story from the dealer was that all the pins were replaced because all the badges were damaged, so yes they all have the same pins, but they weren't original to the badges. The hinge is a separate piece, like most of the badges.

Thanks,

Pat

Just assuming that is true Pat, the repairs are all exactly alike. You would maybe expect this if the awards would have been won by a single individual, but no one individual would ever have won all the badges you have shown.

As someone else has pointed out ... these were "repaired" to eliminate the evidence of incorrect original fake hardware. This was done to supposedly trick the unwary.

• 1 month later...

So I talked thoroughly to the dealer who I bought these badges off of, and he claims they were part of a horde of damaged and cheaper badges and knives and all sorts of other militaria. He says he fixed them all himself as most if not all were broken. The story goes that he bought them all in the 1960's in one lot from another German who brought them to Victoria, BC. Canada. The general consensus is they are bad, but most people have not seen these "specific" fakes before as they match most characteristics of originals (maybe my scanner is not scanning at high enough res), or at least noone is posting any (like the "16" marked Aux cruiser and the Juncker CCC's or a couple tinnies I have posted), and there has been some debate and the main problem seems to be the pin/catch set-up, which has been explained as well. I am just trying to cover every base here before I write them all off as 100% bad. Basically, his argument was that towards the end of the war certain standards of quality decreased and more badges were cast but original. Apparently they were from some sort of camp (POW?). He swears up and down that they are just fixed late-war "Kriegsmetall" die cast badges (as listed in Nimmergut price guide)and that he has been selling them for many years at every gun and militaria show in Vancouver, Kamloops, Calgary, Cloverdale and the interior of BC and southern Alberta. His name is Gunther and if anyone goes to gun, antique and militaria shows here please check him and his stuff out, very tall in his late 70's early 80's and has a mustache. He says he has sold to many vets that have beem satisfied, and noone has ever complained before. I don't know what all that is worth, but that is the story.

Thanks,

Pat :unsure: