News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Forum,

I have received the following photos of some WW I German items. I am aware that the unit can sometimes be derived from the epaulettes and the uniform. Clearly the individual had at least the EK II.

As WW I German is not my area of expertise, I would appreciate any guidance from someone more knowledgeable to perhaps help identify:

1. which unit this soldier was from: the insignia on the FOB or the engraving on the reverse may provide some clues; and

2. interpret the writing on the back of the FOB. 

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Gavin

IMG-20210825-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210825-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210825-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210825-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20210825-WA0006 a.JPG

IMG-20210825-WA0005 a.jpg

The none photo items are called Zipfel and are a token of friendship between members of Burschenschaften (student´s society). There were different Zipfel for different occasions, but I am not into the subject enough to make out the differences. This is from the Wintersemster 1919 Leipzig University.

GreyC

13 hours ago, ccj said:

Possibly Saxon Pioneer on 1st two photos.Cockade looks Saxon, ribbon looks Saxon. The second photo is definitely Saxon based on cuffs.

thank you very much, I really appreciate the feedback

10 hours ago, GreyC said:

The none photo items are called Zipfel and are a token of friendship between members of Burschenschaften (student´s society). There were different Zipfel for different occasions, but I am not into the subject enough to make out the differences. This is from the Wintersemster 1919 Leipzig University.

GreyC

Appreciate the info GreyC. Certainly learnt something new from both responses