News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commonwealth Badges - Medical, Nursing and Women's Services

Here is some of my Commonwealth badge collection covering medical, nursing and women's services. Australian, New Zealand, Canadian and a few South African Nursing items. Yes, the Australian nurses sleeve patch is a reproduction, - a kind gift from a collector ins Australia, and a badge I doubt I'll ever be able to manage a real one so I am quite happy with it.

I'll post more of my collection over the next several days. Thank you for looking,

Terry

DSCF4391.jpg

DSCF3914.JPG

DSCF3824.JPG

Australian Bits.jpg

DSCF3998.JPG

DSCF3932.JPG

DSCF3558.JPG

DSCF4363.JPG

DSCF3732.JPG

DSCF4063.JPG

Terry

Thanks for sharing these lovely displays!  Sadly, the Canadian Army Medical Corps, which became 'Royal C.A.M.C...' in the late 1920s has given up almost a century of tradition and morphed into the Royal Canadian Medical Service'. 

I am part of a living history group which portrays a Great War casualty clearing station: doctor, nursisng sisters and sergeant stretcher beareres/aides.  We had some contact with the current Canaidain Forces medical Services during the centenarry of the Great War and most of them were less than thrilled at the change!

• 1 year later...

Hi Peter, I was not exactly aware of the changes, but do have some tabs for both titles. I would not think any regiment would like giving up their heritage, but beauracrates don't seem much concerend about that!

I am not aware of there being Canadian VADS, but would sure be interested to know and what badges they would have worn, as I am a big Vad collector. Do you know?

DSCF4050.JPG

DSCF4373.JPG

DSCF4674.JPG

Edited by Terry37

On 06/07/2023 at 02:05, Terry37 said:

Hi Peter, I was not exactly aware of the changes, but do have some tabs for both titles. I would not think any regiment would like giving up their heritage, but beauracrates don't seem much concerend about that!

I am not aware of there being Canadian VADS, but would sure be interested to know and what badges they would have worn, as I am a big Vad collector. Do you know?

DSCF4050.JPG

DSCF4373.JPG

DSCF4674.JPG

Lovely stuff Terry.

Congrats.

tony. 🍻

• 4 months later...

Terry,

There is a considerable amount of information on the web about VADs in Canada.  Especially in WWI.  Here is an article from the Parks Canada web site that covers the subject well in relatively few words.

Regards,

Gordon

Voluntary Aid Detachments

Backgrounder

Although unable to enlist, over 2,000 Canadian women volunteered and found a way to serve their country during the Great War and during two national emergencies at home -- the Halifax Explosion and the deadly Spanish Flu pandemic. Organized by the Canadian Red Cross and St. John Ambulance, Voluntary Aid Detachments (VAD) worked as nurses’ aides, ambulance drivers, and clerical staff at convalescent hospitals in Canada and at some hospitals overseas. They assisted overworked medical and nursing staff in caring for thousands of injured and sick servicemen, some facing the same dangers and hardships as soldiers, nurses, and doctors working near the front lines.

Voluntary Aid Detachments first emerged in 1914 as Canada’s Militia Department made preparations at home, in anticipation of war in Europe. They were initially intended to create an emergency reserve of trained men and women who would support military medical services in case of invasion on Canadian soil. Later, following the outbreak of the First World War, the VAD program developed into a female volunteer nursing corps, as male recruits were quickly drawn into the armed forces. Canadian VAD units were modelled on a British system established in 1909, intended to supplement existing army nursing reserves. These reserves consisted of both professional nurses and civilian volunteers trained in first aid. While the British program utilized some 23,000 VAD nurses during the Great War, the Canadian program was more modest. Still, the number of women who enrolled as Canadian VAD members was considerable -- by the war’s end, some 2,000 had trained and qualified as VAD nurses. While the majority were limited to working in military convalescent hospitals on the home front, an estimated 500 Canadian VAD members served in British military hospitals overseas.

The first Canadian Voluntary Aid Detachments were formed in Halifax, Québec City, and Saint John, because these ports were expected to be the first to receive wounded soldiers returning from overseas. These were later followed by units in Montreal, Ottawa, and Victoria. Initially, VAD members engaged in non-nursing activities distributing comforts such as chocolate bars and cigarettes to departing troops and wishing them a safe return home. As the war progressed, however, they helped to prepare, open, and staff military convalescent hospitals. This role became particularly important as increasing numbers of sick and wounded soldiers returned to Canada in early 1915.

Many VADs were anxious to go overseas where the need was greatest, but it was not until September 1916 that the first contingent of Canadian VAD members left in response to a request from the British Red Cross. Although the Canadian Army Medical Corps (CAMC) refused to use voluntary nurses in its overseas hospitals, VAD nurses were welcomed into British military hospitals. Overall, St. John Ambulance in Canada supplied more than 360 volunteers for overseas postings, while many other Canadian VAD members financed their own passages to England and applied directly to British VAD headquarters in London. Working in the British military medical establishment, Canadian VAD nurses served as probationers (trainees) who were supervised by professional nurses. As was the case in Canadian convalescent hospitals at home, they assisted with various nursing tasks, such as making beds, preparing diets for invalids, and ensuring the overall comfort of soldiers. In some instances, VAD work approached that of trained nurses, as volunteers changed surgical dressings and performed night duty in charge of wards. Like the military nurses under whom they served, Canadian VAD members posted in France, and more distant battle zones were exposed to frontline dangers and hardships. A number of volunteers were recognized for their bravery during enemy attacks.

Both at home and in overseas operations, VAD work varied greatly depending on the location and hospital type. Detachment members performed any number of tasks, working as nurses’ aides, ambulance drivers, clerical staff, and in any other auxiliary capacity required of them during the war.

VAD nurses also demonstrated their training and skill in the aftermath of the Halifax explosion in December 1917 and during the “Spanish” influenza pandemic of 1918. They provided crucial medical and nursing assistance during these two national crises.

Canadian VAD nurses served for the duration of the Great War and beyond, helping to care for convalescent soldiers well after the Armistice in 1918, and were officially demobilized in October 1920.

On 06/07/2023 at 11:05, Terry37 said:

DSCF4050.JPG

DSCF4373.JPG

DSCF4674.JPG

nice

On 30/11/2023 at 16:30, Farkas said:

Good to see you back Terry, I was starting to worry 😊

🍻🍻

On 08/07/2023 at 04:59, Farkas said:

Lovely stuff Terry.

Congrats.

tony. 🍻

I agree

• 4 months later...
    Posted (edited)

Hi Terry,

We were chatting before awol last year and I said I had spotted something you might like…

A Female QARANC officers uniform and variety of hats…

2BED5309-DD43-48F8-A628-A68E5DA708F5.jpeg.1248829c6e2760aa514cea861385a418.jpeg

472DDFD3-8563-46BC-B494-22869277ABD4.thumb.jpeg.1c717844a6d9def19b3b6306bf8578dc.jpeg

F0ED96DB-1CD9-4B2C-99F6-3CA4336D5809.thumb.jpeg.c21e0933dbb0e1dfcd665a00c5d6737a.jpeg

9CB1B715-3E03-4D6E-AC8E-17C6936555B1.thumb.jpeg.9951715fabbcf6acb09b36279accb023.jpeg

4D841115-FAE5-4825-B8CF-01B9E1FE76D4.thumb.jpeg.85cd8472137e4d03242afdc01278b4bf.jpeg

8F82CE4C-F004-481C-B307-985EDB4F2042.thumb.jpeg.6c0be9b56e232ea70405ab0434768e9e.jpeg

4D3EBB65-12C1-41A6-843A-3D8832093DD3.thumb.jpeg.28a8cedd1e529ef2093d54e66207fa2e.jpeg

C267A01A-C454-4698-A6C6-098385885998.thumb.jpeg.275f2709ea7319783f827ea764a39715.jpeg

I’ve not long come across these pictures I took and seeing you online tonight it reminded me. 😊.

Cheers

tony 🍻

Edited by Farkas
    Waffle

Dear gentlemen,

Very nice presentation. Thank you for sharing your collection.

Reproduction is okay, some items are too hard to find, too expensive, or no longer exist.

Yours sincerely,

No one