News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

PC William Ross PLSGC Medal, Admiriality Civil Police

Hi

I just received my first Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal and after researching found it was awarded to:

Name: William Ross

Police Constabulary: Admiralty Civil Police, Plymouth

Born: 24/08/1894

Previous occupation: Seaman, Royal Navy service number ? (15441? can't find any service or medal records so any assistance would be great)

regards

C

20211016_151534.jpg

Try the National Archives at Kew. As you are (or appear to be) in London, a personal visit would probably be the best course of action. As an aside, William Ross is quite a common name. How have you made the Admiralty Civil Police connection? Did the medal come with the named box or similar?

Bear in mind that the Admiralty Civil Police ceased to exist in 1949 and was re-named the Admiralty Constabulary at that time. The medal in question was not created until 1951, so it will have been awarded to him (assuming its the right man) whilst a member of the latter force (Constabulary not Civil Police). I hope this is helpful.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Hi

yes based on age, rank etc it is the only one that fits as this is a 1951 - 1953 issue so if you work backwards there was I think only 2 x William Ross who where police officers, 1 was a PC, the other a PS

REGARDS

• 1 month later...