News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DS Theodore DEARDEN Kent Constabulary.

Theodore Sydney DEARDEN Kent Constabulary.

Born 14th February 1903.
    Joined Kent Police 1932 as PC.
    DC (aide) circa 1936.
    DC (passed course) 8th April 1937.
    Promoted to T/DS 1st January 1942. 
    Entitled to WW2 Defence Medal and Police LSGC. 
    (Was an accomplished artist)
    Died 1969 Kent.

Saturday 13 May 1933
    Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald
    CROWDED GARAGES PROBLEM
    ... causing an obstruction in Copthall Gardens, at the Folkestone Police Court on Tuesday. Defendant did not appear. Police Constable Dearden said at 9.25 p.m. on April 20th he saw defendant's car parked in Copthall Gardens. There was a car park there, but notices ...

Saturday 16 December 1933
    NEWS IN BRIEF
    ... Greenfield Road, Frederick Nelson Sheeriu was fined 2s. dd. at the Folkestone Police Court on Tuesday morning. Police Constable Dearden said the path was about four feet wide. There had been some complaints about cyclists riding along the path. The defendant ...

17th November 1936 Commendation from the Town Council of Folkstone
    DS Johnson & DC Dearden for their zeal and effiency which resulted in the arrest of two men and a woman on charges of larceny. 

20th April 1937 Commendation from the Town Council of Folkstone
    Congratulations to DC Theodore Sydney Dearden on the result of his examination at the recent C.I.D course of training at the Police College, Hendon. 

Saturday 22 January 1938
    Daily Herald
    London, England
    In Evening Dress
    ... world?—l did not. I suggest you were quite incapable and she had practically to hold you up?— That not true. Detective-Constable Dearden said that midnight they joined hands, danced In the middle of the room and sang Auld Lang Syne. Mr. Bunce: Did you ...

Saturday 22 January 1938
    Daily Mirror
    KISSES FOR POLICE AT CLUB PARTY
    ... Licensing Acts during a birthday party at Lister's Club, Sandgate, near Folkestone. Police-Constable Hall and Detective-Constable Dearden went to the club in evening clothes under instructions to act as though they were out to enjoy themselves. According ...

Saturday 14 January 1939
    1939 will be brighter thanks to SUNLIGHT SOAP NOW only
    ... Miss M. datidaddat has been trebled, and a tinual progress for the Tall-Wagger. Bayley and the Misses Jane and 'let. Constable Dearden said at 2 large is beteg sent to New Club. One day recently 210 enrolments Martha Barnes, recitations given by p.m. the ...

Saturday 15 April 1939
    SAW DEFENDANT
    ... two tulips and three iris left. A PRESENT The flowers were a present and he estimated their value at about 10s. Det.-Constable Dearden said on April 2a4 he saw defendant at his home. He told him he was making enquiries respecting the theft of a number ...

Saturday 20th May 1939 
    IN POLICE COURT
    ... IN POLICE COURT Det. Constable Dearden said at 12.30 p.m. the previous day he saw the defendant in the police court and asked him if he had seen any penknives. He fully described to him the portico. lan of the knives and informed Barton that a number ...

Saturday 20th May 1939
    NO USE
    ... use at all and said he wanted to raise a fiver. A few minutes later the police arrived in response to a message. Del-Constable Dearden Rave evidence of arrest, and when the vases were shown to Knight at the police station he replied, I have never seen ...

Saturday 14 October 1939
    lard Expert Gies El 'deuce
    ... submitted that there was a very real element of doubt in the case. After retiring the jury found defendant guilty. Del-Constable Dearden. who stated that Bowen first came under the notice of the police when he was 11 years of age, gave details of several ...

Saturday 30 March 1940
    REMANDED ON SERIOUS CHARGE
    ... remanded in custody for a week on a serious charge concerning • nine years old girl between March 111th and 23rd. Det.-Constable Dearden said he saw defendant at a house in Somerset Road and told him who he was and the nature of an allegation. Owens replied ...

Saturday 18 May 1940
    Al THE HARBOUR
    ... Al THE HARBOUR Det.-Constable Dearden said at 1120 a.m. on Friday week he saw defendant at the harbour. He was then wearing a Jacket and can and a pair of navy blue trousers. He was also carrying a regulation kit bag and a oalr of binoculars. He asked ...

Saturday 05 September 1942
    GAVE POLICE MUCH TROUBLE • ----:o:---- Boy's Vivid ;magination
    ... would . . give him a hiding' The boy gave her a false address, so took him to a pollee box and reported the matter. Det Constable Dearden said he saw the boy at his home on August 15th and told him he was making enquiries about ill, papers The boy made a ...

Saturday 23 January 1943
    Back To Alleged Cheque Frauds By Woman Three Soldiers AMR Money Obtained From Traders Trial AWOMAN'S cheque ..
    ... Meridiem Women's Association on October 17th. 1539. Miss C. K. Coleman was named as the Treasurer. 'EXTREMELY SORRY Del-Constable Dearden said on January 12th he saw defendant who admitted the offence. Defendant said that she was estsisnely sorry. She would ...

18th December 1943 Assistant Chief Contable's Office.
    Dear Dearen,
    Upon calling on you this morning, I learned that yu were down with influenza. This said that good news is a good tonic so when I tell you that you are a T/Sergeant from 1-1-1942. It may do soemthing to assist in your recovery!
    You will be stationed at Headquarters, Maidstone, dealing with C.I.D clerical and stationical matters. I congratulate you (a) upon your promotion & (b) upon being selected for duty at Headquarters. 
    The Chief Constable is very keen to get a high standard of work there & I a more that pleased to know that there have been selected from Folkstone, the others are Alexander (general office) and Hall (training establishment).
    Housing will be a problem but that will be your worry!
    The G.O upon promotion will be out on Monday, but I'm informing you tonight so that you can turn down the offer if you so wish it. Silence gives consent so unless I hear to the contrary I shall assume that you are willing to move. 
    Best wishes upon your career which I shall watch with more that passing interest, yours R.C.J.

Thursday 03 January 1957
    Halifax Evening Courier
    NEW FAIRY SNOW
    ... Price. pathologist. said that death followed constant and repeated multiple injuries over a long period. Detective -sergeant Dearden said to-day that, when he asked Mrs. Holdsworth how the boy had received injuries which he had seen at the mortuary. ...

Thursday 20 March 1958
    Belfast Telegraph
    Make your choice from those firm blonds
    ... Yes, all right. When charged, Searby made a statement which amounted to an admission of the offence, said Detective Sergeant Dearden. Mr. G. R. Bell, for Searby, asked for legal aid. The Clerk of the Magistrates (Mr. H. G. Murton-Neale—ls he without ...

Thursday 20 March 1958
    Liverpool Echo
    24 Die As Explosion Wrecks Third Floor Clothing Factory In New York PANIC HITS WORKERS IN ESCAPE DASH Two Drivers
    ... Yes. all right.' When charged. Searbv made a statement which amounted to l an admission of the offence. said Detective Sergeant Dearden. Mt G R Bell, (for Searby) aa:led fot ieitai aid. The clerk of the magistrates (M . H. G. Murton-Neale): Is he witnout ...

Thursday 20th March 1958
    Shields Daily News 
    Mother reported her son's theft to police A NORTH Shields mother who found her -
    ... manager and staff and stole £2,274. He was detained at Pembury and taken to Tunbridge Wells police station. Det. Sgt. Theodore Dearden, of Maidstone, said that when told he would be taken to C-anbrook and charged, Searby said, Yes, aR right. When charged ...

Friday 04 July 1958
    Halifax Evening Courier
    HALIFAX GOLDEN WEDDING
    ... authority. The case against both wasi adjourned sine die. Stock market TO-DAY'S PRICES EXPELLED FROM PUBLIC SCHOOL Detective Sergeant Dearden said nearby had been expelled from a public school in Kent. where he had been described as idle and unbalanced. At ...

Friday 04 July 1958
    Coventry Evening Telegraph Warwickshire, England
    ARTIN WHITAKER SEARBY
    ... of .38 ammunition, a lan of the interior and exterior f the bank. handcuffs and keys, nd a throwing knife. Detective-Sergeant Dearden said earby had been expelled from a üblic school in Kent, where he ad been described as idle and unalanced. Passing ...

Saturday 05 July 1958
    Western Mail Glamorgan, Wales
    Courageous PA'
    ... revolver. backed away and said Stop or I will shoot. But. with some courage. the constable disarmed him. Detective-Sergeant Dearden said a scan .a Searby had been expelled from a public sc h ool in Kent. %there lie. had been described as idle and unbalanced ...

Saturday 05 July 1958
    Eastbourne Herald
    YOUTH WHO ROBBED . BANK GAOLED FOR FIVE YEARS
    ... a plan of the interior and exterior of the bank, handcutfs and keys, throwing knife and adhesive plaster. Detective Sergeant Dearden said that Searby had been expelled from a public school in Kent where he was described as idle and unbalanced. At another ...

E080BB65-8D1D-4CB6-B157-B517A0BC1C21.jpeg

8DDC5910-D582-40D7-A25A-BF59E44C548E.jpeg

DFD59109-F05A-4FB2-8B1E-0AE573413EAD.jpeg

890F3C4F-C90D-4699-A3BC-E2E84494A379.jpeg

59A31AAB-B1B8-4134-977F-143C86A39E75.jpeg

E1D9B6F7-ABCC-4206-9E45-4887915AB67C.jpeg

E832CA4F-FB09-465B-AFDA-67BA9ECEC783.jpeg

BF62CACD-BB4D-4005-B1D3-629AFB1EDF03.jpeg

A3A2B7BC-A0B9-45C3-997C-EF7376D24B80.jpeg

C23609D3-140C-4AB5-B775-3C289DAEF64F.jpeg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Very interesting. But, I don't think that he joined Kent Police in 1932, as suggested by you. It seems that he joined the Folkestone Borough Police in 1932. That force was temporarily  amalgamated into the Kent County Constabulary on 1st April 1943 under the Defence Regulations. The amalgamation was ratified as permanent on the 1st April 1947. So, all his policing activities prior to the 1st April 1943 were as a member of the Folkestone Borough Police.

He was fortunate not to find himself embroiled in the following. In October 1940 allegations were made by a member of the public that members of the Folkestone Borough Police were engaged in criminal conduct whilst on duty (shop and house breaking), and had been systematically doing so since 1935. Following an enquiry by Detectives from New Scotland Yard, the Chief Constable of Folkestone,  Alfred S. Beesley (a former Metropolitan Police officer) was required to resign. Five Constables made statements admitting involvement and resigned. A Sergeant denied involvement but was dismissed as being found unfit for office. It was decided not to take them to court, as in the event of the charges not being found proved, it would then be difficult to convict by way of discipline and rid the force of their presence. 

A nice addition to your collection with such supporting paperwork.

Dave.  

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

• bigjarofwasps changed the title to DS Theodore DEARDEN Kent Constabulary.
    • 5 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

Hello, 

This is just a quick message to thank you for the above info and images relating to T S Dearden. He was my grandfather but passed away when my mother was young - these are the first pictures I’ve ever seen so thank you!!! 

I wonder if you might be able to confirm   how you came by the information ( if not from the KC museum) please? In particular I’m very interested in the colour image (which shows him post retirement I think and at a fore-edge painting - he was something of an expert at this). I have one of his watercolours but little info or detail on his life. Any pointers would be gratefully received! Many thanks. 

This is a wonderful example of the history which takes a nice but quite common medal, and exposes the life, times and nature of the recipient. A short statement (the medal) becomes a novel (the man). Lovely.

• 8 months later...
    On 12/04/2022 at 10:22, dpk said:

This is a wonderful example of the history which takes a nice but quite common medal, and exposes the life, times and nature of the recipient. A short statement (the medal) becomes a novel (the man). Lovely.

Always makes me think of Foyle’s War 😂

Interestingly, I have been made aware another group of medals, to a chap who also appears in the group photograph, of the 1937 CID course.

Insp Leslie George Dolphin Kent Police. 

Served 31/07/1929 to 01/12/1957, initially with 
    Dover Borough Police.

Collar Numbet 643.

He is shown on the 1939 Register as a Det Dover Borough Police.

Police LSGC issued in 1953. 

Also served in Cyprus as an Inspector. 

Medal entitlement GSM Cyprus, WW2 Defence Medal and E11R (1st version) Police LSGC.

Died January 1990. 

Sadly all these medals were sold on EBay, the vendor listing them all separately, for some reason known only to themselves, so the group has been split up 😡, the whereabouts of his LSGC unknown ☹️

3F8A99B2-B676-4609-922F-2B9C16E59ECD.jpeg

AA788E00-CCC5-418E-A9F3-83501839D73C.jpeg

046C1FA7-1A2F-4B75-B1E8-FAEBEBE9CF09.jpeg