News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FIRST ROMANIAN SOLDIER KILLED IN IRAQ 27 APRIL

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

Sad news, yesterday a Romanian Military Police Corporal on duty was killed with 3 Italian comrades by a bomb in a car driven into his convoy, I attach details from a Romanian Online Newspaper:

"One Romanian, three Italian soldiers killed in Iraq".

The soldiers were killed during a patrol mission near An Nassyria yesterday morning. The Romanian and Italian authorities, the Pope expressed deep regrets and condemned the terrorist attack.

published in issue 3668 page 1 at 2006-04-28.

Corporal Bogdan Hancu (28, photo) from Iasi, from a family of professional soldiers, was in Iraq with the Military Police Detachment deployed to Camp Mittica.

The armoured vehicle in which the soldiers were patrolling was attacked by Iraqi rebels around 8:00 AM. A trap vehicle was driven straight into the patrol car killing the Romanian and three Italians. The joint Romanian-Italian convoy formed of four army vehicles was just starting a patrol mission that was eventually fatal. Onboard the vehicles there were one Italian officer, 15 Carabinieri and one Romanian ? Bogdan Hancu. The military convoy was driving to the Provincial Joint Operation Centre ? the integrated operative venue of the security forces serving the province ? where the victims of the attack were supposed to carry out their regular service of ground control in coordination with the local security forces. The attack is being investigated by an Italian-Romanian commission.

Romanian soldier repatriated last night.

The body of the Romanian soldier was expected to be flown to Bucharest last evening. Bogdan Hancu will be entombed with military honours most likely on Saturday. The Mayor of Iasi has announced that the municipality would assist the family with money and with a grave.

Condolences

President Traian Basescu voiced his deep regret for the loss suffered by the family of Corporal Bogdan Hancu.

?Through the courage to be a member of the Romanian troops that maintain peace in the hot areas of the world, Corporal Bogdan Hancu ranges among the Romanian heroes who put their lives at risk day after day, taking action there where terrorism represents a daily reality,? said the President, quoted by a press release of the Presidential Administration.

Premier Calin Popescu Tariceanu and the Government in their turned deplored the terrorist attack. ?Premier Calin Popescu Tariceanu and the Executive express their deepest condolences and their solidarity with the family of the dead Romanian military,? reads a news release issued by the Government. The Minister of Foreign Affairs extended ?his sincerest condolences and solidarity to the family of the Romanian soldier?. The Social Democratic Party (PSD) also expressed regret over the loss of the Romanian soldier and conveyed condolences to his family.

American and British Ambassadors Nicholas F. Taubman and Quinton Quayle also expressed their regret for the victims of the attack, and conveyed condolences to the Romanian soldier?s family. The American diplomat expresses in a news release his gratefulness that ?America has such a brave and trustworthy ally as Romania in the war on terror.? In turn, Quinton Quayle stated that he was impressed with the courage and determination proven by the Romanian troops stationed in Iraq.

The President of Italy, Carlo Azeglio Ciampi and current PM Silvio Berlusconi expressed their consternation and immense grief. Ciampi called upon the competent authorities to keep him informed of any developments and on the details of the attack. Recently elected Head of the Italian Government Romano Prodi in his turn pointed out that ?the tragedy is affecting the entire Italy.?

Bogdan Hancu, promoted post-mortem

The Ministry of National Defence leadership expresses its regret for the death of Caporal Bogdan Hancu and stands by the mourning family, reads a communiqu?. Through the order of the National Defence Minister, the caporal was promoted to the rank of Junior Lieutenant post-mortem. The Ministry will take all the necessary measures to support Bogdan Hancu?s family during such hard moments. The Ministry of National Defence also expresses its regret for the human losses suffered by the Italian partners.

Corporal Bogdan Hancu is the second Romanian soldier to have died in Iraq, but the first one to die on a mission. On March 25, 2006, soldier Lili Dobre (engaged under a contract) from Battalion 280 Focsani, shot himself.

Romania has deployed to the An Nassyria region a battalion of infantry - Battalion 280 Focsani ? and a military police detachment. They are all accommodated at the Camp Mittica base under Italian command.

Italy will pull out from Iraq until the end of this year. The decision has been made by Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi under the pressure of the public. Romania has not made any plans or decision about such an eventuality so far, President Basescu having repeatedly stated that the Romanian troops would stay in Iraq as long as it is deemed necessary.

Confusion

The family of the soldier was announced by the representatives of the Defence Ministry soon after the attack. According to the Press Bureau of the Ministry, the person who was announced was the Corporal?s father, Marcel Hancu. Subsequently, the media announced this name. But, a news report signed Mediafax reads the opposite, namely that the family of the soldier had learned about his death from the press.

?We realised what happened when we saw the media at our door. It was around 11 O?clock, and nobody from the unit had called to tell us. When my wife learnt the news she fainted. We knew the risks of the profession of our soldier, but we had never thought that such a thing could happen to Bogdan,? has allegedly said the father of the killed soldier to Mediafax correspondent.

The Ministry denied this information, stressing that probably the mother of the Corporal had not been announced about the death of her son before learning it from the media, but the father had been announced before the information was transmitted to the press.

Corporal Bogdan Hancu comes from a family with military tradition. Both parents, Marcel and Carmen Hancu, had been officers, switched in reserve with the rank of colonel, and Lt. Colonel. ?We have not encouraged him to follow a military career. It was his decision. He had the rank of corporal and he wanted to be upgraded. A mission abroad would have facilitated his promotion. He left to Iraq in January, and had to return in July,? said Carmen Hancu. Bogdan Hancu had married Ionela, an accountant, last November, and they planned to have a baby after his return from the mission. The two were living together with Bogdan?s grandmother, in a flat obtained subject to a real estate loan. Hancu family wants to bury Bogdan in the cemetery ?Sfintii Petru si Pavel? from Iasi, in the lot reserved for the soldiers fallen in the line of duty.

Pope condemns Iraq attack

VATICAN CITY - Pope Benedict XVI on Thursday expressed ?profound grief? over the bomb attack in Iraq which killed three Italians and one Romanian soldier. In a letter of condolence to Italian Foreign Minister Gianfranco Fini, the pope paid tribute to the Italian contingent?s ?generous and unselfish contribution? to peace and freedom in Iraq. The letter was signed by the Vatican ?foreign minister? Monsignor Giovanni Lajolo who said earlier, in an interview with Vatican Radio, that that the Iraq attack and the recent bombings in Dabab, Egypt, were ?acts of cruel barbarity?.

by Rodica Pricop.

End of story in Newspaper.

While some confusion remains over who announced the news to the family, it cannot compare to the stress caused to an Australian mother who when going to look at the body of her son killed in the War On Terror" found the Australian Military had flown the wrong body home!!!

• 2 weeks later...

my apologies, kev...

may he rest in peace,

may he be remembered with love

by his friends,

and may we work for and end to

the terrorism.

best regards to his family.

joe

Hallo Joe :beer:

thanks for your comment, with regards this soldier, Corporal Bogdan Hancu, Romanian Military Police. RIP.

He has been confered post-mortem with the Romanian National Order of:

"The Star Of Romania" Knight Grade in time of War,

by President Traian Băsescu.

This is I believe Romania's first award in this class since the end of WW2. :o

(I hope to obtain pictures of the type award soon.)

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hi kev. Just saw this thread. My condolences to the family. Sometimes we forget that others are in Iraq serving along side our troops.

Don

As always the human cost of such wars is sometimes neglected, as we in Canada are losing more and more Canadian Soldiers in Afghanistan almost daily it seems. Is not the reason to study past conflicts but to learn to avoid them as much as possible? That's what my two grandfathers taught me (one a guard/mechanic stationed across France and Germany in 44/45 in the RCAF and the other an American Artillery man in the the Phillipines and Japan in 1945). The horrors that they have seen should not be seen again, and we should question ALL governments about their motives. I will quote a somewhat famous tune:

"Politicians hide themselves away

they only started the war

why should they go out to fight

leave all that for the poor

treating people just like pawns in chess

wait til the judgment day comes"

My condolences to the families and friends of all the honorable and brave "Allied" soldiers fighting in that embittered part of the world.

Pat

Hi kev. Just saw this thread. My condolences to the family. Sometimes we forget that others are in Iraq serving along side our troops.

Don

Thanks Don & Pat :beer:

Romanian Military Personel, Men and Women are currently involved in Service in Afganastan and Iraq.

As an ex-member of the Irish Defense Forces with United Nations Service I understand what that service entails sometimes its takes the loss of a comrade or comrades wether in action or through accident to bring the message back to the people at home, its not always a holiday out there, but can be quite dangerous.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 3 months later...

It is with deep regret and shame, that I must admit I have only just noticed this thread.

If no one objects, I`d like to add him to the Op Telic roll of honour list of names.

Hallo BJW, :beer:

no need to apologise, you cant be expected to see every new thread, and feel free to add to Op Telic.

Sad Story: I have to try and get the name of the Romanian Officer who just returned from Service overseas in Irag, meet his wife and daughter at the Airport and shortly afterwards were einvolved in a horific car smash.

He and his lady wife were killed out-right, his daughter (Fourteen years old, I believe is still in intensive care, badly hurt) more details when I locate, (this happened as I was heading off to the mountains and had no chance to get all details :( ) The look on the faces of his fellow comrades who came across the accident while making their way home was one of utter bewilderment and shock.

I think he was still on "active duty" his leave starting the next day.

Kevin in Deva.

BUCHAREST DAILY NEWS, Home ? Local News, http://www.daily-news.ro/article_detail.php?idarticle=29380

Iraqi veteran killed in civilian car crash by Alecs Iancu.

A Romanian soldier who had just returned from Iraq on Friday after a six-month tour died in a car accident while he was heading home. His wife also died in the crash, while their 14-year old daughter was severely injured.

The officer, Lieutenant Colonel Stefan Balan, 39, landed at Henri Coanda airport on Friday, returned from a six-month mission with peacekeeping forces in Iraq. He was greeted at the airport by his wife, Maricica Balan, and their daughter.

The accident took place in Ramnicu Sarat, while Balan was driving with his wife and daughter to Focsani, where they lived. The lieutenant colonel reportedly lost control of the car and smashed into two cars that were coming from the other direction.

Balan and his wife died instantly in the crash. Their daughter was seriously injured and was transported to the Ramnicu Sarat Hospital. As she is in a deep coma, doctors decided to transfer her to the Floreasca Emergency Hospital in Bucharest onboard a helicopter of the Bucharest Mobile Emergency Service.

A spokesman for the Mobile Emergency Service, Bogdan Oprita, said the girl suffered severe head trauma in the accident. He also said that doctors are skeptical about her chances of survival.

Two others were also badly injured in the accident and transported to the hospital.

The accident is being investigated by a commission of a brigade in which Balan's battalion is part of. Preliminary investigations indicated that Balan fell asleep while driving.

The lieutenant colonel, who was leading the Focsani 280 Infantry Battalion since last spring, took part in several missions in the country and abroad. After graduating from the Sibiu Military School, he attended training classes in Poland and Germany. He was the head of his class at the Bucharest Defense University, where he graduated in 2004.

In his six months in Iraq, Balan and the troops under his command took part in over 1,500 missions, including patrolling, security, training of Iraqi troops and missions to the benefit of Iraqi civilians.

END OF ARTICLE.

He was actually filmed upon his arrival at the airport greeting his wife and daughter, he also spoke by phone to his father shortly before the crash.

The daughter is making a slow recovery, has not regained consiciousness yet.

Kevn in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hi Kevin,

It had to be a "peace mission" but Dutch soldiers have found themselves in a war too,

after the bloody war on terrorism, both afghanistan as Iraq have to be rebuilt,

to get grip on their lives and the democration has to be restored......

But instead of a peace mission to help a country rebuild it's own,

soldiers go to war ?nd have to rebuild were possible.......

It's just so sad....

I would like to recite John 15:13

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

and in my humble opinion are all those soldiers, of all nationalities, heroes,

men and women, who dare their lives and who dedicates their lives to help others to live their life.....

May god bless them....

And help them in these dark days.

Edited by Jacky

FROM THE ROMANIAN JURNALUL NATIONAL English version, 29th July 2006.

Commander of Battalion in Iraq Dies in Car Crash in Romania,

29 Iulie 2006 | de Andrada Floria.

The commander of the 280 Infantry Battalion in Focsani, eastern Romania, died Friday in a car accident, a few hours after his return to Romania from a six-month mission in Iraq.

Lt Col Stefan Balan, 39, and his wife Maricica, 39, died instantly, and their daughter Andreea, 14, was left in a deep coma after the car the man was driving (in the) left lane and crashed into another automobile coming from the opposite direction. The two people traveling in the second car were also severely hurt.

Police suspect Balan fell asleep while driving.

The rest of 30 military men in his battalion were traveling from the military airport they arrived at to Focsani city in a coach behind Balan?s automobile, so they witnessed the accident.

Balan was at his first mission abroad. He took his current position in May 2005. Balan graduated in 2004 as valedictorian from the Faculty for Chiefs of Staffs at the University for National Defense, and trained too at the Polish Academy for National Defense, and the NATO School in Oberammergau, Germany.

Translated by ANCA PADURARU

Kevn in Deva :beer: