News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Golden Kite

Laurence Strong

• 2 weeks later...

very nice! these medals are great because they were only awarded for combat!!! very nice one to!! :beer:

They were? I thought it was awarded for distinguished military service in general, not only combat? :unsure:

/Erik

What is the significance of the Kite?

It represents a golden kite, messenger of the Gods, that helped the Emperor Jimmu Tenno in defeating his enemies in a battle. A kite is a bird similar to a falcon.

• 1 month later...

There are still some tasty little bargains to be had on EBay. ! :beer:

Congratulations! :beer:

That Kite looks really familiar... Hope I have better luck with the next one.

It is really nice, can't get much better!

/Erik

• 2 months later...
    • 4 months later...

Hi Laurence,

The last one you posted is a Meiji period award. I much prefer these over the Showa pieces since most of the Showa awards were to KIAs in WWII rather than for actual combat bravery. The Golden Kite was devalued a lot after about 1941, partly because they handed it out to about 30% of all combat casualties and partly because they changed the pension entitlement of recipients into a once off payment (which was made in war bonds).

Paul

One way of telling the difference in "eras" is by comparing the shapes of the kites' heads?

Ralph,

Have a look at the pinned thread in this section of the forum and it will explain the way to date them. The shape of the head is one of the more diffiucult ways, the wings and number of holes in the sword belt are much easier.

Regards,

Paul