News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Cross decoration with a grey center?

larsb001

The question may have been asked before, but I cannot find it. I have these two Red Cross decorations, the one to the left with the normal seen blue enamelled center, and then the other one with a grey enamelled center (the reverse is blue). Is there any explanation for this?

258897735_JapanRC.jpg.233dd650333cebf16c4d4591d075a004.jpg

Hi Lars.

Both orders look perfectly ok.

The second one (no the right) was manufactured by different workshop and has much darker blue enamel in central medallion. Is it really grey? If so could you make additional close-up photos? 

Best,

Nick

Hi Nick. Thanks for your prompt reply, I tried to make a better scan, the colours doesn't seem to be 100% correct, but when I have it in my hand I have no doubt, it's actually grey and not a variant of dark blue!

561132650_JapanRC1.jpg.7e85d9aa8713cbe3c4a6bbb7e66b5301.jpg

Yes, I see what you are talking about.

I think the most likely scenario: very dark blue enamel covered with patina from silver. 

561132650_JapanRC1.jpg.7e85d9aa8713cbe3c4a6bbb7e66b5301.jpg.611f1f638be8dc31e80c1c907922ac91.jpg

This scenario plausibility could be easily checked with the following tools.

1 toothpick

1 tiny little cotton wool (goes on the tip of the toothpick)

Warm water 

Second possible scenario: infamous japanese enamel "sickness" https://asiamedals.info/threads/when-japanese-orders-are-getting-sick.12614/page-2#post-345836 but I don`t think this is our kind of case.

Hello Nick. I used your suggestion AND an old toothbrush plus mild soap etc. So apart from having the worlds cleanest decoration I can say that it's definitely grey, and quite even and bright, so I can also rule out your pest suggestion. My own conclusion is that I'm having an unexplained production variant (and not some kind of super rare unknown class).

Would you buy into this?

And thanks for the various comments.

/Lars

Lars sorry but I`ve never suggested using a toothbrush on medallion. Medallion (by old photos) still looks like dark blue enameled one with some murky-grey-looking plaque on it. It could be manufacturing defect or environmental consequences (for example direct exposure to the sun) or something else.

By the way, here comes "black" looking medallion.

5.jpg.c9e95da1b054e404343830ecf8e7d6d4.jpg6.jpg.2a5f13e86e1f4858c69c59420eec6814.jpg