News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Iron Cross shaped service medal

Hi,

This has always been a favourite of mine, I believe a service medal for the 22nd Bavarian Regiment for WW1.

I have posted it in the Imperial Iron Cross post as well, but afterwards I thought I might get more advice here. My questions are does anybody else have one, and how rare is this medal, as I tried to research it everywhere but found nothing, not even a lising of a 22nd Bavarian Regiment on Feldgrau.com, only up to 21! Anyways, any info on this award would be appreciated,

Thanks

Pat

Hi Pat,

In my opinion such veterans' crosses of the twenties are quite rare, since there were inofficial and were awarded/given during a very limited period. All such crosses, especially the enameled or those with battle clasps are increasing in value, since many collectors are shifting their focus on such still less known and less expensive medals.

Niemann doesn't have it on his 2005 catalogue. Maybe there will be on his next catalogue. On the Orden & Ehrenzeichen catalogue of Mr. Nimmergut these veterans' medals or crosses aren't mentioned and I don't know why. Maybe because there weren't official. There were so many issued and by so many units in different shapes and design that there isn't yet a complete reference book or catalogue about them.

The Bavarian you're showing I like it very much. I have it also in a Veteran's medal group.

Great little veteran cross... :love::beer::love:

Ciao,

Claudio

claudio-

very interesting response!

the regimental commemoratives i would think

would be rather rare based on numbers in the regiment.

based on the number of regiments, it would seem that

there might be a rather large number, assuming that all

of the regiments had them. it could certainly keep

one looking for a long time for all of them.

for that reason and the non-official status, i would

suspect that herr nimmergut would not pursue these.

it is my understanding that his 4 volume set with

volume 5 errata/additions was a 20+ year endeavor

which will not reach a second edition.

i think this is a project for someone, however.

while these types of pieces were not "official",

they certainly had the support of the veterans, the families,

the cooperation and recognition of the military, and

to some extent, validation by the government.

great piece, pat!

joe

Thanks for the info, that is a great set Claudio! I have a question about the medal on the far right of the bottom medal bar. I have just the ribbon, sword, and mounting but the medal is missing. I was wondering what medal it is and if it is very hard to track down.

Thanks,

Pat

Hi Pat,

That medal is the "deutsche Ehrendenkm?nze des Weltkrieges" (German Honor Medal of the World War), listed in Niemann's catalogue 2005 (2.02.18 a/b) for 15 USD/Euro + 10 USD/Euro for the swords device (Kampfabzeichen der Ehrenlegion, Front Badge of the Honor Legion). Actually these are quite often seen on the market or at the Militaria shows and it's not an uncommon unufficial award.

Ciao,

Claudio

Claudio is correct..... the veteran's pieces don't show up very often, but many collectors shun them because of the "unofficial status"... the ones who don't, well they love them! Claudio's cased Bavarian set is quite unusual with so many present on the lower bar and very nice!

Hello Gents,

And thanks for the information and pics. I hope this area of collecting continues to gain recognition as it is a fascinating niche to pursue. I fall into the category of being a fan of such veteran medals and I am happy to have such medals. I really enjoy the fact that they were for specific regiments and have a real history behind them. Does anybody else have one of these crosses or something similar to share? Maybe the Bavarian 21st Regiment? I have done a little research and discovered that a man named Thoedore Eicke (a higher up in the SS) was a member of this regiment. Any more info on this is welcome.

Pat

Apparently Eicke was an SS commander and somewhat responsible for some concentration camps in ww2. How many of this specific order were approximately produced, as it is a specific regiment?

the regimental commemoratives ... it would seem that

there might be a rather large number, assuming that all

of the regiments had them.

And to make matters "worse" (well, not really if one likes these), not only regiments had their commemorative medals, even battalions did ! :P:jumping:

Below is my one and only : 5th Jaeger Battalion with clasps for WWI Verdun and Eastern Front campaigns.

Happy sliding that particular slope !

Hendrik

[attachmentid=38185]