News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French WW2 medals in 'gilt' finish - why?

Duncan

I've often seen French WW2 medals in two different finishes, dull bronze and a much brighter 'gilt' finish, as with the two I have in the photos below. Anyone know why the difference? The 'gilt' ones don't look so nice or well finished to my eye. Are they copies, more modern manufacture, fakes?

Such  non regulation awards generally exemplify private purchase items much like various nations', including U.S.A., military medals that are anodized, gold-plated, chrome plated, or otherwise embellished.  Often worn by troops performing ceremonial duties.  Sometimes bought by colleagues & presented to holder to celebrate a formal award or bestowal event. 

Medals & miniatures statutorily commissioned in bronze or base materials may be made in silver or gold for similar reasons.  One encounters French  examples most often. 

Of course, some will fake anything... 

Edited by 922F
    spelchek

Hi Duncan,

I agree with 992F

In my opinion those nearly mint look gild medals you can see on the market are modern reproductions

You correctly noticed that the quality of those medals is inferior compared to the original.

As long as the price is also very low we can consider them as what we call 'collector's copies"

They are meant mostly for the novices in the collecting world to start from somewhere without the price of the originals. You can see many of those copies on eBay or other Platforms  Those Platforms, although they claim that they are regulated, in fact they are not.  They have their own place in the collectors market Also many novices are attracted by shiny medals till they realize sooner or later that shiny does not mean value .it is just appearance

The problem is when not very honest sellers try to sell them as original items and demand higher price for a profit

Cheers

Edited by Graf

Hi Duncan,

That is wise

Having one or few in your collection will give you  invaluable  "hands on"  experience for your future collecting.

We all have been through this period  No one is bullet proof

Cheers