News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Albin Friedrich Wilhelm Theodor Freiherr von Reitzenstein (1852–1927)

Gentlemen, I read something about Albin Friedrich Wilhelm Theodor Freiherr von Reitzenstein (1852–1927), who as a Major went to China with Erich von Falkenhayn. I also read, the old gentlemen served in WW I, at last as Oberstleutnant. Also, this is most interesting, he became a Chinese Generalleutnant (probably in the 1920s?). I would love to know everything about him (promotions, decorations). Can anyone help? By the way, his grandson was Ritterkreuzträger Albin Joseph Bodo Erdmann Freiherr von Reitzenstein (1911–1943), who is often wrongly named "Hans-Albin".

Merry Christmas to all!

Freiherr von Reitzenstein, 1938 (1).png

Edited by Deutschritter

• 2 weeks later...

He was a Chinese Generalleutnant before WW1. I don't know much more.

Major z.D., zul. Stabsoffizier im Fußartillerie-Regiment Nr. 3 (Dienstzeit 2.8.1870-11.8.1894), im 1. Weltkriege beim 3. Garde-Fußartillerie-Regiment, 8.9.1917 Charakter als Oberstleutnant z.D.

Königlich Preußischer Roter-Adlerorden 4. Klasse
    Königlich Preußischer Hausorden von Hohenzollern, Ritterkreuz mit Schwertern
    1914 Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse
    1870 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse
    Dienstauszeichnungskreuz
    Kriegs-Denkmünze 1870/71
    China-Denkmünze
    Centenarmedaille
    Kaiserlich Chinesisches Doppelter Drachenorden 2. Klasse 3. Stufe
    Kaiserlich Chinesische Erinnungsmedaille

Hello Deutschritter

Albin v. Reitzenstein was among the ca. 40 German instructors that had been hired via Krupp to train the two "new Chinese armies". 1895 - 1900

1. "New Army" under vice Roy Chang Chi Tung

2. "Newly Created Army" under vice Roy Li Hongzhang, later Dingwu Arny (Yuan Shikai)and then Beyang Army (were most of the 20's to 30's warlords had been trained)

He was under the orders of vice Roy Chang Chi Tung who had appointed him as head military advisor of the then renamed as Nanchang Army. Garrisoned in Wusong, close to Shanghai. In 1897 he was appointed CIC and awarded the rank of Major General.  AFAIK there was only one European, the Norwegian national Johann Wilhelm Normann Munthe who attained the rank of a Chinese Lt. General. (this chap a trustee of Yuan Shikai also designed those "fancy" warlord uniforms.  

Albin von Reitzenstein retired as a Lt. Colonel, Oberstleutnat of a Garde Fussartillery regiment with which he served on the Eastern Front in WW1.

BTW, do you only have this excerpt or could you kindly forward me the entire page

Regards

v. Perlet

reitzenstein.jpg

Hello Deutschritter,

thanks a lot for that link - very appreciated.

maybe now 'finally" I will be able to trace down the respective family-branches of certain v.Reitzensteins

Since those two different Maj. Reitzenstein's that served in China always drove/drive me nuts.

if I can find something about the Westfälisches Festungs-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 7, I will let you know.

Regards

v.Perlet

Yes, but that was not Albin (he was never with the Feldartillerie, only Fußartillerie), instead Oberst Maximilian Gustav Freiherr von Reitzenstein (1859–1936), who would retire as Generalleutnant. By the way, Maximilian (1900/1901 Teilnahme am China-Feldzug) was Hauptmann in China serving in the Ostasiatisches Feldartillerie-Regiment during the "Boxeraufstand".

Gentlemen, does anyone have the WW I decorations for Maximilian (239. Infanterie-Division)? Thanks!

Edited by Deutschritter

Not sure about Feldartillerie or Fussartillerie - you know better.

A Hauptmann v. Reitzenstein you mentioned shows up as Hauptmann in 1904 as 2nd in Command of the Artillery detachment that took part in the Herero Aufstand.

The Major v. Reitzernstein in the East-Asia-Corps shows up as posted to Generalstab not an Artillery-unit - he seems to be the same Major that is mentioned in another script, where it says: he won a horse-race competition, requested leave from the Prussian army to join the Burenaufstand in SA, was punished with Festungshaft, however due to the Boxeraufstand he was released earlier and send to China. (the time-line would fit).

Checking onto the participant list of the East-Asia-Corps, it shows that there are three with that name. One Major, and two Leutnants. One of them could very well be one of the sons of Albin, since in another script its says that Albin was accompanied by his son who had also taken part in the Wusong episode.

I am not aware about a Hauptmann v. Reitzenstein serving in China - would you have a record or script?

Regards

v.Perlet

I know pretty much everything about the „Mein Distanzritt Berlin–Wien“, but I just cannot find out the first name of Premierleutnant Freiherr von Reitzenstein from the Kürassier-Regiment „von Driesen“ (Westfälisches) Nr. 4 who was the best German rider. Kaiser Wilhelm made him to Rittmeister shortly after the race. He also wrote a book about it. It would be great, if he was one of the Generalleutnant's sons. Here is the Hauptmann (Maximilian??? But maybe his older brother Clemens (Klemens) Ernst):

Screenshot (899).png

Edited by Deutschritter

Sorry my above posting isn't correct.

Please allow me to rephrase;

To my knowledge there are at least 4 v. Reitzensten participants in the 1900 China campaign.

Major v. Reitzenstein                         Ostasiat. Reiterregiment                  Preussen Gen. Stab

I am sure he is the Distanzritt, and Buren chap who then went to China with the Ostasien Corps

Oberleutnant v. Reitzenstein           4. Ostasien Regiment                        1. Bay. Leibregiment

He is the same person that is also listed in another source as being in the 2nd. Ostasien Brigade

Hauptmann v. Reitzenstein              Ostasien Feldart.Rgmt             F.-R.7

He could be the Major v. Reitzenstein who shows up in 1904 as Kommandeur of the Feldartillerie unit in Deutsch Sued-West.

Lt. v. Reitzenstein                                Ostasien L.Mun.Kol.                  F.-R. 53

Albins youngest son would be too young to be the Lt. von Reitzenstein listed in the Ostasien L.Mun.Kol. but it could be one of his other 2 brothers.

Albins youngest son was Bodo v. Reitzenstein born 1885, he is the father of the SS members Bodo and Gert v. Reitzenstein

The v. Reitzenstein, who was the Kommandeur of the Westphaelisches Ulanenregiment 5 in around 1860 I haven’t been able to track down regarding his family branch. He could however be the father of the Major v. Reitzenstein (family branch also unknown) who had served in a Prussian Ulan regiment, then fighting for the Buren and later send to China in 1900.

But okay it is just a wild guess on my part.

IMG_0967.thumb.jpg.3a8ed91ee776186eada8c9b87d3cd42b.jpg

zusammensetzung2.jpg

Thanks for this!!! No, not his youngest son, either his oldest Heinrich or his second oldest Albin (both Major a. D.), but we will probably never know.

Yes, Maximilian was the Hauptmann in Ostasien (I have been searching for hours, pieced everything together), after his return he came to the  Stab des 1. Unter-Elsässischen Feldartillerie-Regiments Nr. 31 in Hagenau.  15. September 1904 Major, then Schutztruppe in Deutsch-Südwestafrika as Kommandeur der II. reitenden Feldartillerie-Abteilung.  After his return from Africa Afrika he would become Kommandeur der II. Abteilung/Feldartillerie-Regiment „General-Feldzeugmeister“ (1. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 3 in Brandenburg an der Havel. 1907/08 Kommandeur der Reitenden Abteilung (II.) seines alten Stammregiments, dem 1. Westfälischen Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 7 in Düsseldorf. 19. Juli 1911 Oberstleutnant, 31. Mai 1912 Kommandeur des 1. Westfälischen Feldartillerie-Regiments Nr. 7 in Wesel. 17. Februar 1914 Oberst. 24. Dezember 1914 Kommandeur der 77. Reserve-Feldartillerie-Brigade. 22. März 1917  Generalmajor. 13. April 1917 Artillerie-Kommandeur 142. 12. Januar 1918 Kommandeur der 239. Infanterie-Division. 10. until 20. Januar 1919 Artillerie-Kommandeur (Arko) 9 in Glogau. 27. September 1920 Charakter als Generalleutnant,  30. September 1920 retired (eingereichter Abschied bewilligt).

Here we have the SS officers you mentioned Albin and Gert.

The Major Frhr. v. Reitzenstein in the Ostasiat. Reiter-Regiment was Clemens Ernst, *17.3.1857 in Recklinghausen, †2.4.1932 in Strausberg.

The Oberleutnant Frhr. v. Reitzenstein  in the 4. Ostasiat. Infanterie-Regiment, from the ILR, was Edmund Heinrich Wilhelm Christoph, *22.8.1869 in Würzburg, †8.12.1917 in Bayreuth.

The Hauptmann Frhr. v. Reitzenstein in the Ostasiat. Feldartillerie-Regiment was Maximilian Gustav, *1.3.1859 in Recklinghausen, †13.7.1936 in Wiesbaden.

The Lt. Frhr. v. Reitzenstein in the Leichte Munitions-Kolonne of the Ostasiat. Feldartillerie-Regiment was Kurt Karl Jost Paul Robert Gustav Albert Hugo Hans, *15.1.1876 in Königsberg in Neumark, †5.10.1952 in Berlin-Zehlendorf.

Phantastic, Dave, thanks! Clemens Ernst was the brother of Maximilian, Pour le Mérite as Oberst (Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 87) on 8. November 1918. Not very well known. Could Clemens maybe be the rider from the Distanzritt Berlin–Wien, Autumn 1892?

Dave, do you happen to have any WW I decorations for Generalmajor/Generaleutnant Maximilian Gustav?

Edited by Deutschritter

hello Dave Danner,

would you have any info on the v. Reitzenstein, who was the Kommandeur of the Westphaelisches Ulanenregiment 5 in around 1860?

Regards

v.Perlet

that's the Gent in question

Oberst v. Reitzenstein

Help would be very much appreciated because then I could finally close the book on that chapter

IMG_0968.jpg

Reitzenstein, Egmont Heinrich Wilhelm Friedrich Abraham Freiherr von
    * 16.11.1819 in Magdeburg
    † 16.8.1900 in Berlin

5.8.1837 aus dem Kadettenkorps als Secondelieutenant dem Husaren-Regiment Nr. 10 überwiesen
    22.6.1852 Premierlieutenant
    2.9.1854 Rittmeister
    24.9.1857 Eskadronchef
    25.6.1864 Major
    17.10.1864 in das Husaren-Regiment Nr. 12 versetzt
    13.6.1867 Führer des Ulanen-Regiments Nr. 5
    29.8.1867 Kommandeur des Ulanen-Regiments Nr. 5
    22.3.1868 Oberstlieutenant
    26.7.1870 Oberst
    16.10.1873 Kommandeur der 1. Kavallerie-Brigade
    22.10.1874 Generalmajor
    11.11.1875 zur Disposition gestellt

Son of Generalmajor Karl Frhr. v. Reitzenstein (1793-1846).

Egmont had one child, a daughter Gertrud.

Hello Dave Danner,

amazing indeed - thank you very, very much.

how the heck do you know this, meaning what kind of literature gives that kind of information?

Regards

v.Perlet

So he would be his father?

labw-1-114582-1.jpg

Hello gents,

I am sure some of you are familiar with this photo. However I have not found information as to identifying him.

He is obviously a member of the German East-Asian-Korps

The shoulder boards seem to be that of a Leutnant

For my part I can’t visualize a unit number or marking

His trousers (I don’t know the English word/term) Seem to be that used by cavalry men due to the bootsole strap.

So no Regimental No. on the shoulder boards and Cavalry trousers seem to make him a member of the East-Asia–Cavalry detachment.

The two things that irk me are:

He looks far too old to be “just” a Leutnant

All the recipients of the Chinese Dragon Order that I am aware off, held at minimum the rank of a Hauptmann (Captain).

Judging from his interim mantel it is a photo taken 1902 or later, so he could well be a member of the German China Occupation troops.

I can’t find a section on the forum that is dedicated to German Imperial Colonial Troops or the Boxer rebellion and it isn’t my intention to derail Deutschritter’s thread. So any mod please feel free to help move this post to the respective topic/section.

Any information or knowledge to this Leutnant would be appreciated.

Regards

v.Perlet   

China.jpg

6 hours ago, v.Perlet said:

how the heck do you know this, meaning what kind of literature gives that kind of information?

The biographical information comes from the Gothaisches Genealogisches Taschenbuch der freiherrlichen Häuser.

The military service is from the regimental histories of Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 5 and Husaren-Regiment Nr. 10. Many, though far from all, regimental histories have a Stammliste of officers who served in the regiment. Most of these were published before World War I, so it is often easier to research a 19th century officer.