News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Albin Friedrich Wilhelm Theodor Freiherr von Reitzenstein (1852–1927)

Thanks Dave Danner,

BTW what kind of Iron cross is this Generalmajor v. Reitzenstein wearing? (top row) the frame looks massive.

Regards

v.Perlet

7 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Thanks, Glenn, I am taking back "not so good", from now on I will use "terrible"! ?

he, he, I thought it was Saechsisch (Saxonian) ?

Here are the decorations for Egmont Freiherr von Reitzenstein, but I do not know if he received the Zentenarmedaille ... maybe, because he was "zur Disposition"?

Roter Adlerorden, IV. Klasse

Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz, 1862

Herzoglich Braunschweigischer Orden Heinrichs des Löwen, Ritterkreuz (BrHL3)

Schwerter zum Roten Adlerorden IV. Klasse, 1866

Erinnerungs-Kreuz für den Feldzug von 1866

Eisernes Kreuz (1870), II. und I. Klasse

Kaiserliche Kriegsdenkmünze 1870/71

Roter Adlerorden, III. Klasse mit der Schleife und Schwertern am Ringe

Roten Adlerorden, II. Klasse mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern am Ringe am 11. November 1875

Jubiläums-Eichenlaub „25“ 1870/1895

Preußischer Kronenorden, II. Klasse mit Stern, 1896

Hello BlackcowboyBS,

I think matters are starting to get mixed up a bit.?

Karl Friedrich Ludwig Moritz Freiherr von Reitzenstein born 14.06.1793 in Tuerpatz, died 7.11.1846 in Karlshall near Magdeburg.

He was a Prussian Major General and Kommandeur of the 7th Landwehrbrigade.

He had 6-7 children;

One was Egmont Heinrich Wilhelm Friedrich Abraham von Reitzenstein

Born 16.11.1819 in Magdeburg, died 16.8.1900 in Berlin.

Egmont Heinrich was the Kommandeur of the 5th Westphalia Ulan Regiment and is the one pictured with his medal clasp on his right breast side.

The second photo I posted (wrongly assuming it might be Egmont's father) is,

Karl Bernhard Freiherr von Reitzenstein (born 18.05.1808 in Oberkotzau, died 15.11.1885 in Stuttgart. Retired as Lt.General, the picture I posted shows him as a Maj.General.

My question: what kind of fat frame Iron cross is he wearing?

A Ritterkreuz ? besides Adolf's period I would have to check up on that term.

Is Ritterkreuz something they had in the 1860's?

I know of a Komturkreuz, and Grosskreuz - but I am obviously not very familiar with Prussian orders.

Regards

v.Perlet

Edited by v.Perlet

13 hours ago, v.Perlet said:

Hello BlackcowboyBS,

I think matters are starting to get mixed up a bit.?

Karl Friedrich Ludwig Moritz Freiherr von Reitzenstein born 14.06.1793 in Tuerpatz, died 7.11.1846 in Karlshall near Magdeburg.

He was a Prussian Major General and Kommandeur of the 7th Landwehrbrigade.

He had 6-7 children;

One was Egmont Heinrich Wilhelm Friedrich Abraham von Reitzenstein

Born 16.11.1819 in Magdeburg, died 16.8.1900 in Berlin.

Egmont Heinrich was the Kommandeur of the 5th Westphalia Ulan Regiment and is the one pictured with his medal clasp on his right breast side.

The second photo I posted (wrongly assuming it might be Egmont's father) is,

Karl Bernhard Freiherr von Reitzenstein (born 18.05.1808 in Oberkotzau, died 15.11.1885 in Stuttgart. Retired as Lt.General, the picture I posted shows him as a Maj.General.

My question: what kind of fat frame Iron cross is he wearing?

A Ritterkreuz ? besides Adolf's period I would have to check up on that term.

Is Ritterkreuz something they had in the 1860's?

I know of a Komturkreuz, and Grosskreuz - but I am obviously not very familiar with Prussian orders.

Regards

v.Perlet

The guy that I have posted is the only von Reitzenstein that ever got an order from the duchy of Brunswick, there is no forname of him in the list. So which of your von Reitzenstein he is I don't know, but from your list it must be Egmont Heinrich Wilhelm Friedrich Abraham von Reitzenstein. This would also go along with the post from Deutschritter, but Thanks for clearing things up here! 

Hello BlackcowboyBS,

according to the document you posted, this Reitzenstein died in 1900, in Charlottenburg (Berlin) with his final rank being a Generalmajor - as such he is Egmont Heinrich Wilhelm Friedrich Abraham von Reitzenstein

The other Reitzenstein wearing a Wuerttemberg uniform is Karl Bernhard Freiherr von Reitzenstein

with his final rank being a Generalleutnant, died in 1885 in Stuttgart.

He is the one wearing these iron crosses on the Photo and as to whom my question regarding "what kind is the iron cross with the fat frame" refers to. 

Regards

v.Perlet

I am also not an expert, but Karl Bernhard Freiherr von Reitzenstein (born 1809, not 1808) is wearing EK II and I (1870/71), as a neck order the Württemberg Militär-Verdienstorden, Kommenturkreuz with the crown (model 1864-1889), the Militär-St.-Heinrichs-Orden and probably (to the right) the Dienstauszeichnungskreuz. The frame might be do to the flashbulb, therefore seeming oversize? Like in this picture? You might like this very interesting article.

Abb06.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

Hello Deutschritter,

hm... the flashbulb, could be very well be the reason, since the iron core of the "fat"cross (EK2) seems to be the same size as that of the EK1.

Thanks for the link - that's great info there. will take me some time to read through this, but it will happen.

Regards

v.Perlet