News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian city commander of Kassel 1813

David M

Hi

I am looking for the name of the russian commander of the german city of Kassel in september 1813.

I have found a source naming a general Proschonewitsch, butcan not find anything about this man. Other sources claim its a General Raschanowitz.

So no idea really.

Hoping for some help here

Hello David M,

He wasn't the commander but rather the liberator of Kassel,maybe this can help

General Alexander Iwanowitsch Czernitschew

also sometimes written, General Alexander Iwanowitsch Tschernytschew

see: https://www.erinnerungen-im-netz.de/fileadmin/erinnerungen_im_netz/Dokumente/Czernitschew.pdf

This chap however left Kassel 2 days after the liberation from the French.

After retaking Kassel, the Russian commander of Kassel from 29th of October till 6th of November was Graf Guillaume St. Priest a born Frenchmen but in Russian service as commander and general of the 8th corps.

Regards

v.Perlet

Edited by v.Perlet

Hi David,

On september 28, 1813, Chernishev attacked Kassel. Despite a strong defense led by the old general von Schlieffe, the French had to withdraw by the road of Frankfurt. They will however retake the city on october 1813.

S I Think the one who will be governor of the city in september 1813 must be Chernishev.

Edited by augustin1813

Thanks to both of you. I have a general idea of the attack on Kassel and the involvement of General Zernitscheff (I can think of only 20 ways of writing his name tbh )

However I would like to make an annotation to this text I have. It seperately names Zernitscheff (spelled like this) and this General Poroschenowitz. Is there an overview of the officers in Zernitscheff's corps, the Corps v. St. Priest or the Division of v. Winzingerode if only for reference?

Edited by David M

The only correct way of writing Чернышёв is Chernyshov.  

Regarding this "General Poroschenowitz".

There is no such name in the 1813 general's list

list.jpg.4979d7f884aea17563cabb0a4857a7d9.jpg

or in 1830 list.

3.thumb.jpg.a8cba2fe1643bb1b1acbc5e1aaaf12ba.jpg

4.jpg.c9347aaecc8d3b2f40f5f8c7b52bd838.jpg

5.jpg.9a6b838a3d3823eb46d5e1ac1a92e062.jpg

So this must be some mistake with the rank or name or with both.